Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perfect pitch courses? Ear Training.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect pitch courses? Ear Training.....

Hey has anyone ever tried those "perfect pitch" ear training courses they have big ads for in teh guitar mags?? I think they are the Dr. David Lucas burge ones. Has anyone ever tried this course? and if so, what do you think of it? any good? is it worth picking up? I have always been a bit curious about this course and I would like to improve my skills. I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can provide. THanks!!!
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: Perfect pitch courses? Ear Training.....

IMO, I don't think you can "learn" perfect pitch, I think you have to be born with it. I do believe however, that you can develop your relative pitch to a high degree of accuracy, but this only comes with practice and figuring out a LOT of songs.

With that being said, I may be completely wrong and the the perfect pitch course may be the best thing since canned beer and thongs [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , so who knows [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I've also heard that perfect pitch will/can drive you insane, from what I understand you always have a "tone" running through your head and that is what the notes are compared to to figure out what they are.

If you get it and it works, you'll have to give us a review and a recommendation [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

From what I understand people can gain perfect pitch, but if you want absolute pitch you have to be born with it. I don't really know that for sure.

I've also heard that there's no such thing as tone-deafness, unless of course a person is completely deaf. Anyone know anything about this?

Comment

I have the book of the older version of that course, I would guess that it has not changed all that much.

Yes, you can develop what he calls "Perfect Pitch" to a VERY high degree. Believe me..you DO NOT want this abilty! My old guitar teacher has it, and he says it is a CURSE. He would reach over to my floyd when I was playing and move the thumbscrews minute amounts to adjust my tuning.

Really, just develop your Relative pitch to a high degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Subvamp:
          I hear out of tune things EVERYWHERE. Even some tv commercials make me cringe with the off tuning, which is so bad I can't see how the whole world can't hear it. (despite my screams of "Can't you hear that??!!There, THERE!" directed at my girlfriend, she swears I'm nuts and she dosen't hear anything wrong)
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, that sucks! My Mom has perfect pitch; she is like this, too. She also complains of "super-hearing" - everything is loud to her. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] She's 72 years old...
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Older people usually have sensitive ears. Maybe that's the "super-hearing" she speaks of?

Comment

You know what, I've seen these ads for years and if it was any good I would have somehow had a bootleg copy of it land in my lap.

Let me explain, I minor in music here in NY and many of my friends study at Berklee and there is no group who bootlegs learning materials, albums, software like music students. If it's worth a damn you can walk around on campus and bump into someone who will burn you a copy.
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Perfect pitch is NO FUN. I am totally cursed by perfect pitch, and it's not cool. I'll admit that I made quite a bit of beer money in high school betting the "band kids" that I could tell them what notes they were playing on any given band instrument, and I never lost a bet. The down side is that none of my guitars sound completely in tune to me, ever, especially B strings, so I have to deal with that, and I hear out of tune things EVERYWHERE. Even some tv commercials make me cringe with the off tuning, which is so bad I can't see how the whole world can't hear it. (despite my screams of "Can't you hear that??!!There, THERE!" directed at my girlfriend, she swears I'm nuts and she dosen't hear anything wrong)But I've managed to deal with it over the years to where I can play guitar and not be so distracted by "off notes" like I used to when I was younger. Either that of I've lost some hearing due to loud amps. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Thanks!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I will cross this off my list of things to do. I never knew that perfect pitch could have such a negative effect. I always thought it was a great thing to have. I certainly appreciate the advice as I dont want to have the problems youve described [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks again!!! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I dont care, I'm gonna try anyway.

Then I'll be one step closer to Mozart.

Comment

all this stuff is just b.s.! anybody can hear dissonance.and thats all you hear when a note is out of tune.not when its in tune.people that say its a curse lie.or perhaps play guitars that cant stay in tune.by that logic u shouldnt learn any kind of pitch training cuz it will only get you closer to the curse. i say go for it. i did and it didnt hurt me any.

Comment

Working...
                      X