Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some one help me get back on track musically.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some one help me get back on track musically.

Basically, I've spend the last few months writing music and learning licks instead of doing true serious practice.

I feel like I've progressed horizontally but not vertically, if that makes any sense. I'm fairly fluid in my guitar playing, fastest I steadily do now is 16th notes, 120 bpm. I can solo, improvise, etc.

However right now, I feel really stagnant musically. I know a bit of theory, but mostly piano theory. Most important of all, I know how to practice.

I have two books to work out of right now: the first is speed mechanics, the second is the MI Lead guitar book.

But I question how I should attack getting more involved in guiar. The MI book would give a better theory based stance, and could help my playing and creativity. The speed mechanics book is probably more fun to work out of, and builds that speed we all love.

Or hell, maybe neither of these are the best bet. Can someone advice which way I should go? I'm really sick of feeling like I get nothing accomplished guitar wise.

Re: Some one help me get back on track musically.

Play how you feel. Try expressing your emotions as they change from day to day,try playing the same peice every day but change the attitude or mood.It's great to be technically proficient but without feeling all is lost! Music is after all about feeling and emotions.

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLANDER:
      Play how you feel. Try expressing your emotions as they change from day to day,try playing the same peice every day but change the attitude or mood.It's great to be technically proficient but without feeling all is lost! Music is after all about feeling and emotions.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I concur, however, I feel like I am quite emotive. I'm just looking to become a better player.

Comment

Oh...just a bit impatient then are we [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        Well it sounds like you're doing the right things then.Just be patient keep on playing and have fun with it.If you keep playing then you'll keep on improving.It will help if you record even on a basic unit once a week or month and then compare them as you go along.You will hear a difference and also be able to target areas you want to improve in.It's hard to hear the improvement from a day to day aspect but it is usually there.
        Don't worry we never seem to be completly satisfied we all think we can do better somewhere no matter how good we may be. I was quite surprised once to overhear someone whom I thought one of the best guitarists I had ever heard complaining about his ability.We're never happy always striving for more.It's like the saying goes the more we know the more we realize we have to learn, or something like that.
        Just have fun with it......listen to and play all kinds of music it will help you to develop your own style more so

Comment

What's the MI Lead Guitar book?

Comment

Ever jam with anybody? Friends, I mean, not just random jamming, which can be fun too. But for me, nothing beats a rut like some quality time with my mentor / best bud. Frequently, I don't realize until a week or so what happened differently, and I usually don't even know or understand, but for whatever reason, it works: I get out of the rut, and better.

Kinda mystic sounding, I know, but it works for me.

Keith
            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smithee:
              What's the MI Lead Guitar book?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think its the stetina metal lead guitar...

cheers

Comment

Hey all, just an update: I've been taking some advice. I got myself a Korg PX3 which is an amazing practice unit. Very cool tool that is helping me alot. I've been writing more music and learning more songs.

I think one of my problems is what Keith mentioned. I felt very very uninspired. I actually thank the JCF for giving me some of my inspiration back. After looking at the pictures of people playing thier Jacksons live, it made me remember what I was working for.

And, for clarification, the "MI book" is part of the Muscians Institute Essential Concepts series, entitled "Guitar Soloing, The Contemporary Guide to Improvisation" by Daniel Gilbert and Beth Marlis.

Comment

Three suggestions:

1-Classical music works wonders. I strongly recommend listening to this and also listening to such bands as Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth, who combine classical elements with their music. I would suggest listening more heavily into the classical part though. Try to play what they do on your guitar. It's amazing how incredibly it all fits together.

2-Play with other people on your skill level. This can often be the most annoying thing on the planet because they don't play like you do, but it's also very musically eye-opening. It allows you to hear how someone else plays, and allows you to add one more color to your arsenal.

3-Try to learn different styles. Jazz is one of my favorite genres-next to metal. This also allows you to expand your musical palette of colors.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Sometimes inspiration can come from leaving it alone for awhile. Put it down for a day or so.

Comment

Nothing gets me out of a rut more than seeing a band play live. It can be almost any band playing any style of music. It typically inspires me to go home and play immediately, that is if it's not too late and I haven't had too many.

Comment

Originally posted by 86mod5:
                        Nothing gets me out of a rut more than seeing a band play live. It can be almost any band playing any style of music. It typically inspires me to go home and play immediately, that is if it's not too late and I haven't had too many.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Same with me. I just want to jump up there and start jamming with everybody.

Comment

Pedal Tones
                          Arpeggios
                          Sweeping Arpeggios
                          Whammy techniques
                          Ghost Bends
                          Double Stop Bends
                          Chromatics

These are all fun things to learn (with the exception of Chromatic Scales).
                          Especially Pedal Tones.
                          Pick up Arlen Roths: Master of the Telecaster
                          There are so many killer useable licks on that instructional video you will get a headache figuring out how to use them all.
                          Be a sponge bro. Learn every style and every trick you can. That is what keeps me motivated to practice 3 hours per night for the last 29 years.

Comment

Sometimes inspiration can come from leaving it alone for awhile. Put it down for a day or so.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That definetely helps too.

Comment

I studied (maybe too strong of a word) jazz guitar for a semester in college, and I tell you what-anytime i am just jamming around in my living room and feel kinda bored, I open my manuscript book fform those days and play back over some of the licks and scales. Surprisingly, if you play them the right way, they can sound very melodic in a rock/metal type setting.

Comment

Working...
                              X