Playing/Practicing w/ a metronome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing/Practicing w/ a metronome

How do you guys practice w/ a metronome? When I play my electrics I usually play at a volume level that would drown out the somewhat muted sound from a metronome. Should I practice at a low volume so I can hear the metronome? I don't mind playing at a lower volume but it just sounds a bit better (tube amp) at a little higher volume.

I hope this doesn't sound too much like a rhetorical question but I have always wondered about this type of practice routine.

TIA

Re: Playing/Practicing w/ a metronome

I do clean tone and gradually accelerate a pattern or scale until I can't keep up. Then I slow back down and start over. Using a 35 watt Marshall I keep the volume at about 2 and I can hear both met and amp even afetr I turn on the crunch.

Comment

I use the metronome built into my Korg AX1500G. So the sound of the metronome comes through the amp, and I can just adjust the metronome's volume on the Korg unit to suit.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I practice at a lower volumes or no amp at all anyways. I also use a PC metronome and can crank it up if need be. To me you have to find a balance of the click...if its too loud it gives me a headache [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] if not loud enough you can miss a beat.

On a side note I think folks should try to practice w/o an amp so they don't rely too much on distortion or effects.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas. I'll try some of the mentioned techniques.

Comment

where can i find an online metronome ?

Comment

metronome program:

http://www.raleighmusicacademy.com/links.html
              (under "OTHER HELPFUL LINKS")

online metronome:

http://www.metronomeonline.com/metro...ult.asp?bhcp=1

-Mike

Comment

thanks mike i got the one from the RMA site

Comment

Thanks alot for the metronome program mike..!
                  i really like those functions...select sounds and adding chords....would help my practicing alot!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I use two computer programs for metronomes, "Weird Metronome" and "YMetronome." I have two because the former acts like a regular metronome while the latter has a feature where it speeds up incrementally so it's great to play sweeps to.
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

You're welcome bros [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] ... Now back to practice [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X