I'm so frustrated right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so frustrated right now.

I don't own an acoustic guitar, and whenever someone hands me an acoustic, I freeze up because I don't know much stuff that translates well to acoustic. So I decide to learn some songs that I can mess around with and play on an acoustic, and the first song I choose is The Eagles, Hotel California. Well, I'm currently stuck on the second bar trying to figure out the damn fingering for this fucking song. Does Joe Walsh have 8 fingers on his left hand, or am I retarded?

I could use some advice here. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: I\'m so frustrated right now.

are you talking about the 12 string finger-pickin' intro? That uses a capo at the 7th fret. You can play it just like the original without a capo, but it'll give your left hand a hell of a workout while you try to maintain that 7th fret barre. I don't worry too much about sounding "just like the record" and use my own voicings so I can just have fun playing instead of struggling to hold ridiculous chord shapes [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Eagles have some great songs for acoustic. Like Tequila Sunrise, Desperado.

I only know a couple of acoustic tunes, so I have to be careful not to play them too often around the same people. If I can bang out 2 or 3 pieces, sometimes people will be fooled into believing I can actually play. But if they notice it's the same couple of tunes everytime, the gig is up! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Doh, a capo eh? Why the hell didn't I think of that? I'll have to go find mine, it's buried in the basement somewhere.

Desperado was my next project. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

yea, slap the capo on there and it's all cowboy chords. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Dude the answer to your problems is the Beatles [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by markpb:
            Dude the answer to your problems is the Beatles [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know Beatles songs are really easy, but I don't think people will be to impressed if I start playing Norwegian Wood, or Eleanor Rigby. Stuff like Hotel California is what makes people shit their panties. That's what I'm aiming for. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Dude, learn to play "Blackbird" by the Beatles. It looks really impressive to play, but is super easy once you figure it out. Also "Wild World" by Cat Stevens (or MR. Big's version) also easy to play and chicks dig it.

Comment

Me and my friend Sarah have been doing a few tunes on acoustic lately, we're doing a country song I wrote, To Be With You by Mr Big, and we're gonna learn some Social Distortion, Alice in Chains, and Sheryl Crow songs too. Go pick up an issue of Acoustic Guitar World, it might give you some ideas.

Comment

Acoustic guitar is just like electric guitar, in that you have a whole new set of techniques to learn and get used to.

Like anything else, get the basic motions down, and you will improve.

Blackbird is great to figure out, as is From the Beginning.....a lot of Eagles tunes, Boston, etc.

Have fun while you improve.

Comment

Hello..........Zeppelin!! Pretty much ALL of Zepplin 3 is acoustic. Then try getting into some Al Dimeola Ciello e terra.........cool spacey sound stuff!!

Comment

Classical music... neoclassical type runs work well on acoustic as well.

how about Dee, Diary of a Madman and Relevation Mother Earth?
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Working...
                        X