No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose tricks WITHOUT a Floyd Rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose tricks WITHOUT a Floyd Rose?

Anybody want to share techniques done on fixed bridge guitars that really sound like Floyd Rose bridge tricks? Stuff like dive-bombing, pulling up, horse whinnies, car engine revving... are they even possible on guitars equipped with fixed bridges? (It would be kinda neat to replicate trem tricks on an acoustic guitar. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Re: Floyd Rose tricks WITHOUT a Floyd Rose?

Try bending strings at the nut. The opening squeal in Shot in the Dark is done in this way.

Comment

Another Jake trick: detune using your low string machine head to replicate divebombing. Though, the easiest way to do that and other tricks... get a Whammy pedal! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

car engine revving can be accomplished with a slide...as can many other floyd tricks...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Just thought of this one:

You know that thing when someone does hammer-on and pull-offs while warbling the trem? You can create a very similar effect with right hand tapping:

Let's say you see someone fret a note at the 12th fret and hammering fret 15 while working the trem. Replicate this by fretting a note at the 10th fret, bend it up a whole step, then vibrato the hell out of that note while right hand tapping the 13th fret. I think Zakk uses that technique at the end of the "Miracle Man" solo.

'bane

Comment

In my first band some years ago, we played You Really Got Me (Van Halen Version). I emulated that center break section by sliding my Bic lighter on the strings in the pickup area. You can get some really cool "chirping bird" effects this way.
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

About the only one I do is to do a hammer-on and yank the same string with my index finger nail on my right hand in front of my left fretting hand.

Example would be fret the 12th fret B string with index finger of left hand and hammer-on with the pinky of left hand on the 15th fret.

While you have the hammer-on going reach with the right hand index finger around the 7th fret area and yank the same string however hard you want.

There's many combinations you can use with this simple technique and it sounds pretty cool.

Regards, JD...

Comment

You can also use a "Bent Tap" Fret a note like C on the G string (5th fret)then bend it up a step to D and tap a higher note and release the bend with your left hand. You can also bend the tapped note by pulling with the left hand.
                Bend the neck a bit (NOT TOO MUCH)
                To simulate a shallow dive prebend the note you want then strike it and release it.

Comment

Working...
                X