Paul Gilbert Vs. Troy Stetina....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Gilbert Vs. Troy Stetina....

Hello guys. Don't mean to start a war here. Just want honest opinions about people who have tried the Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock Video series and Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics for the lead guitar. I just wanna know which one was more helpful to you and what was the difference. I know one is a book, and the other is a video, still... I have great things about both. However, Paul Gilbert sort of made a bigger name, and a very admired guitarist by myself also learnt from his videos. While there is a never-ending praise for the Speed Mechanics. I would really appreciate your views. Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Re: Paul Gilbert Vs. Troy Stetina....

I would like to add, that when I say, "helpful". I mean in terms of shredding, speed, and technique. Also, theory or feel if possible. Thanks again!

Comment

Stetina is much better I would say. His forte has been as a teacher, Gilbert as an artist. Speed Mechanics is much more comprehensive and systematic, breaking technique down into the smallest fundamentals, with a focus on efficiency. The Gilbert thing seems kind of incomplete to me, and gives a false idea of the effort it would take to play like him to people watching that may not know better.

Comment

Thank you for your input. I have heard a lot of praise for Troy Stetina being an excellent teacher. Still, I thought that Paul Gilbert had lots to teach as well, since the video is sold for $50 and many people have it. I thought it was worth it. This is probably a stupid question, but you have used both materials right?

Finally, I would love it more of you could drop a line or two. Also, again a stupid question. Who is faster and more efficient, Gilbert or Stetina in real life? Thank you all for your time!

Comment

Hey Fraggle, are you in the US? If so, I might be able to make your PG vs Stetina decision alot easier [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Fragger
            Yep I have (had) both. I had Paul Gilbert's series on my computer for a while to check it out, and I have Speed Mechanics as well. I no longer have the Gilbert one, didn't really think it was any better than other video stuff i have seen (Petrucci, Michael Angelo,Eric Johnson), it had a few interesting points here and there.

I think Stetina has the most thought out, most organized teaching system that I have seen for this kind of thing. It takes discipline to follow through with it (apparently more than I have); I tend to pick it up every once and a while and then kinda drop it, which the wrong way to use it. I don't really have time unfortunately to practice regularily, but if you do, I doubt you would regret the decision to go with speed mech. Even just from the point of view of popularity and reviews, the Stetina thing is a constant topic in this section, the Gilbert series never gets much attention. If you want to sample some of the Gilbert stuff, DL portions of it off Kazaa.

PS I would say Gilbert has better technique, but that doesn't help you any.Stetina has far more extensive teaching credentials.

Comment

Hey Testament, check your PMs. Mark, thank you for your input bro. I appeciate your help. By the way, you said that Gilbert has better technique. If so, then how come one doesn't benefit from his tips more. You think he restrained himself in letting us know all? Also, do you think the same level of playing experience is required to go through the first video of Intense Rock and beginning the Speed Mechanics? Thanks again for your input! Anymore, comments from others will be more than appreciated. Take care!

Comment

Hey Fragger YGM

Also on a side note, I also had the Stetina Speed Mechanics...book (sold it here) Its a great book, but you really have to discipline yourself...It gets reeeeaaal boring playing the 4 note per string exercises over and over to a metronome. But if you're determined to have chops from hell, this should be your starting point.

Comment

oops double post

Comment

Fragger,
                    I have both of them and here is what I like in terms of videos and books. I found the following to be keepers for myself personally and I've owned many instructionals in the past.

1) John Petrucci - Rock Discipline - This one is the best videos on overall technique and building speed in my opinion. He is a very good teacher and I feel like I'm really taking a lesson and learning something constructive. I really like the way he uses the metronome and this has motivated me to use mine now.

2) Troy Stetina - Speed Mechanics - I recently purchased the book and it has all the exercises you need to build your technique. The only negative about this book is that it's a book. I prefer videos to books, but this probably is the best book available and the price is cheap enough at places like Amazon that I would recommend it to you without hesitation.

3) Michael Angelo - Speed Kills - I like this one and Angelo is an extremely fast picker and has great technique. He does explain his picking technique very well and the chops are pretty basic ideas. The thing is at the rate of speed he plays them makes them sound great and anything but basic. It's not too expensive for a video and I recently got the DVD for myself and use it to motivate myself.

4) Paul Gilbert- Intense Rock - I think this is an excellent video and you can learn quite a bit from it regarding alternate picking and you'll learn some cool chops. He's a heck of a picker and I enjoy watching him play the licks up to speed.

I personally would recommend Rock Discipline & Speed Mechanics. I think these two have the best structure for learning. Both of these focus on using a metronome and this is very important for building speed and improving your timing. I've recently found this out for myself and I've been playing for years.

I hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Regards, JD...

Comment

Thanks for your input Testament. YGM, BTW. Anyone else wanna say anything? I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JDA:
                        Fragger,
                        I have both of them and here is what I like in terms of videos and books. I found the following to be keepers for myself personally and I've owned many instructionals in the past.

1) John Petrucci - Rock Discipline - This one is the best videos on overall technique and building speed in my opinion. He is a very good teacher and I feel like I'm really taking a lesson and learning something constructive. I really like the way he uses the metronome and this has motivated me to use mine now.

2) Troy Stetina - Speed Mechanics - I recently purchased the book and it has all the exercises you need to build your technique. The only negative about this book is that it's a book. I prefer videos to books, but this probably is the best book available and the price is cheap enough at places like Amazon that I would recommend it to you without hesitation.

3) Michael Angelo - Speed Kills - I like this one and Angelo is an extremely fast picker and has great technique. He does explain his picking technique very well and the chops are pretty basic ideas. The thing is at the rate of speed he plays them makes them sound great and anything but basic. It's not too expensive for a video and I recently got the DVD for myself and use it to motivate myself.

4) Paul Gilbert- Intense Rock - I think this is an excellent video and you can learn quite a bit from it regarding alternate picking and you'll learn some cool chops. He's a heck of a picker and I enjoy watching him play the licks up to speed.

I personally would recommend Rock Discipline & Speed Mechanics. I think these two have the best structure for learning. Both of these focus on using a metronome and this is very important for building speed and improving your timing. I've recently found this out for myself and I've been playing for years.

I hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Regards, JD...
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the indepth reply JD. I have sort of the first part of Petrucci's video, and will be following SM soon too. Just that I heard so much about the Gilbert videos, I thought maybe that is some undiscovered gold. From the responses over here, I have gotten the impression that the Gilbert videos are mostly fun to watch HIM play [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . That is, his teaching is not really that effective or restrained. While Stetina's praised for his teaching everywhere and when it comes down to self-teaching, isn't that what a person needs? Still, please correct me if I'm wrong. I really appreciate your help guys. Thank you!

Comment

Has anyone checked out Frank Gambale's books & vids? I've heard alot of good things about his teaching methods, especially for sweeping. I may just go ahead & buy one of his videos this week. So far, sweep technique is the only part of Speed Mechanics that I think could have been covered slightly better. But that's just a very small complaint about what is otherwise the best book/cd I've tried. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] The more I think about it, it probably has more to do with the fact that it's very hard to explain right-hand technique in print. A video (or a good teacher) is the way to go.

Comment

Thanks man. Doesn't Troy have videos out. Also, did you ever try Gilbert videos? Take care!

Comment

Hi Fragger,
                              I don't want to tell you that you won't learn anything from Paul Gilbert's video, because that is the tape that I first discovered some of my problems to fast clean alternate picking. He does show exercises/licks that will definitely help ones picking technique, if you stick with them.

I found this review of the video that you might like to read.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/reviews/article/6

Here is another article on Paul Gilbert by the same guy and this shows you quite a few of the exercises/licks that is covered on the video.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/55

I found this to be a very cool learning site with good info and best of all it's free.

Regards, JD...

Comment

Working...
                              X