guys... check this out..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guys... check this out..

he's right up there in terms of speed and accuracy.... definately kicks petrucci's ass... and prbly angelo and romeo too [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

http://www.rustycooley.com/video.html

Re: guys... check this out..

Rusty Cooley is a bad Mo Fo for sure....

Comment

indeed...
      looking at his licks...

first shredder I've seen to use 4 notes per string on diatonic scales as an integral part of his technique... his licks are hard for me to play in the lower frets cuz its such a stretch. I have a relatively small hand... should have taken up the violin... [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

very impressive.. only thing that's not about his technique is the shape of his picking hand LOL...

his music is cool too, and shows good knowledge of theory in his published lessons... and he's got prettty good tone and a pretty good vibrato.. WOW..

Comment

Rusty's a sick shredder. He's so fast I can't even really hear what he's playing. He even has a custom 8 strings guitar. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL, I loved this clip:

http://www.rustycooley.com/videos/movie4.mpg

HAHAHAHA, so humbling. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I just noticed this: what happened to the lower frets of his 8-string guitar? Why aren't they parellel to the upper frets?

Comment

You're talking about his 8-string, right? Yeah, he's got fanned frets on that one. It's either for ease of play for for better intonation... or possibly both. I don't really know the logic behind it, but he wouldn't be playing it if it didn't benefit him! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I've only checked out the solo clips on his mp3 page, but from what I've heard he's really good.

The speed doesn't do much for me, but he has the phrasing, articulation, and vibrato: the things that really matter. He reminds me a lot of Tony MacAlpine, only faster and cleaner--and that's saying something.
                This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

intonation I believe.. since its got 8 strings it makes sense to do that.

one intersting thing I found from his videos...

his picking hand "opens up" when he's playing slower stuff. but when it gets into real shredding or sweeping he closes his fingers into a fist almost, and it becomes hard to see what exactly he does with the pick. its not a strict pattern but interesting to note nonetheless.

also.. when its gone into the 'fist mode' his movements comes from the elbows instead of the wrist..... wow... interesting..

and his hand's oscillation rate of motion seems to be significantly lower than the number of notes heard....

just what the hell is he doing with that pick? I heard rumours of people taking advantage of softer picks' elastic bending to literally double their picking rate... maybe this is an instance of that? or is it possibly just a slow video codec? or maybe its just so damn fast that it appears slower.. like a car wheel.. or helicopter rotors.... haha.. not likely.

rusty the shredman definately gets a GREAT rating in terms of technique.. very innovative diatonic 4 notes per string technique.

[ March 13, 2004, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: mt ]

Comment

forgot to add why I think 4 string is significant..

all shredders that I know of play mainly 3 notes per string... this is problematic in that when u cross strings its hard to do strictly alternate picking.

so, many resort to economy picking to solve that problem (im one of them).. and this creates inconsistencies in picking technique: sometimes alt picking.. sometimes econ picking..

doing 4 notes per string solves that problem entirely as u can alternate pick all the way easily.. so picking should be much more consistent and thus smooth and fast.

damn.. very smart idea.. u know whose licks im gonna be practicing now....

Comment

If only I could stretch far enough to be able to squeeze in four notes per string. Rusty practically dances across his fretboard with such ease and grace. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

He's changed his gear section and now says he uses Ibanez rather then Jackson.

Boo.

Comment

check this out.

http://www.chopsfromhell.com/cooley_7ds1_ex8.rm

sounds rather similar to JP to me,, only more articulate, and even more ahead of his time than JP is! increadible phrasing and crazy intervals, what a master shredder! and what an ingeniusly composed/arranged piece!

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                            [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

hell yea, Rusty's bad!
                              ive been hanging on to clips of his for about 2 years......he's just sick [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] oh yea,hey Brett you take lessons from this guy dont you?
                              MOSH ON
                              DAVE
                              "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Working...
                              X