Picking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking question

Ok you guys ... I want to ask how fast you can pick and what kind of plectrums do you use .

Myself , I am a slow picker [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] , I'm a lefty and play in a right-handed way . It was hard to learn to play like this , but it was worth it . My progression has been better than I would've thought possible .

Anyway , my picking limit is definitely something near (talking about 16th -notes here ) 220 bpm , and I would like to be faster . [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Anyone up for a good picking exercise ? [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Picking question

16th notes at 220 BPM's....

dude....are you talking single string licks or crossing [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

The fastest shredders around top out at roughly 240 BPM's.....

I'm not saying your a [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] artist, but this seems to be a little "far-fetched".

I'be been playing for over 20 years, and the max I can sustain 16th while crossing and keeping it clean is around 165 BPM....maybe around 175 for single string stuff.....

If you can do 220 BPM.... [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[ March 12, 2004, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: LesPaulCustom ]

Comment

A slow picker who plays 16th notes at 220 bpm...... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

These kinda posts are very annoying because nobody ever finds out how good these guys are! 16th notes at 220....hmmmm

Comment

I dunno...maybe this guy is legit...but 16th notes at 220 BPM is insanely fast....even on one string....let alone 16th's at 220 BPM crossing strings.....

I seen John Petrucci crumble doing Flight of the Bumblebee at like 205 BPM's....and Petrucci has an incredible picking technique and a really well developed left hand....

Troy Stetina is fast also...and he would be pressed to reach those speeds....

Comment

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hammer, i can do 16th notes at 400 RPM's. All you need to do, is practice.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

holy shit jackson1 u can do 16th at 400 bpm???

can u post some MP3s?

Comment

I'd actually have to see/hear this guy playing clean 16th's at 220 BPM before I believe it.

Then, he will become my new hero [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Anyone up for a good picking exercise ? [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hammer, i can do 16th notes at 400 RPM's. All you need to do, is practice. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hell, I can do 16ths at 1100 RPMs. That's what my Suzuki idles at! I just stand next to it! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by mt:

can u post some MP3s?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There's no point. It just turns out to be a constant sine wave because of the picking speed. So imagine a sine wave.... and you got it.

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

220 ? 16th ? not 8th ? [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] u mean 4 picks 4 every beat of a metronome ? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

does it sound any good ? i mean at this speed you get probably only a tremolo in black / death metal style [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mt:

can u post some MP3s?
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There's no point. It just turns out to be a constant sine wave because of the picking speed. So imagine a sine wave.... and you got it.

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          actually, that's not necessarily true.
                          since notes from an instrument are a combination of the actual note and harmonics, the wave would be a summation of all their sine equations like so.

and when ur picking reaches that kinda speed (I think its not impossible btw..) I would imagine ur picking rate would reach audible frequencies, thus introducing more sines into the equation.

so u'd be able to introduce interesting harmonics and thus affect the texture, tone, and timbre simply by picking a bit faster or slower... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

oh ya,, why don't they make a device that oscillates magnetic fields near the pups at a controllable rate. better yet they should integrate the device into picks. so all u have to do is to touch a string with the pick and it'll play up to 2000 bpm! [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

[ March 13, 2004, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: mt ]

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer Of Chaos:
                            Ok you guys ... I want to ask how fast you can pick and what kind of plectrums do you use .

Myself , I am a slow picker [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] , I'm a lefty and play in a right-handed way . It was hard to learn to play like this , but it was worth it . My progression has been better than I would've thought possible .

Anyway , my picking limit is definitely something near (talking about 16th -notes here ) 220 bpm , and I would like to be faster . [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Oh sorry dudes , mixed up the triplets and sixteenths . The truth is I can play 16th notes w/tempo of about 190 max .
                            Oh man , am I embarrased now ... [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

It's still friggin' fast man! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X