guitar and bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar and bass

so my friend and I are trying to start a band, but its really hard to come up with stuff since its going to be a trio, its kind of hard to make stuff fit, and hard when there is only one guitar. it feels empty.

could someone suggest bands that actually record only one guitar?

all i know is primus does (usually) Van Halen, Dio (except for solos, i think van halen does sometimes to)

Re: guitar and bass

you have to make sure that your bas player and drummer can play really tight together. If your bass player is just playing the root of whatever chord you are playing, it will sound thin. If he learns some good bass riffs and stuff, it is almost like having another guitar player.

Comment

Immortal does / did. Uhm, not quite metal, but I think Greenday does. I'm not really sure actually.

Comment

What about Rush? or Mr. Big? As long as the band is tight and everyone has a good handle on their instrument, then it can be done with results. I played in an instrumental 3-peice for a long time and it was a blast.

Comment

I don't think two many actualy record with only one guitar. Guitar tracks are usually layered with more than one guitar. A lot of bands play live with only one guitar though. Ozzy is another example.

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughn
            Jimi Hendrix
            Cream,Blind Faith
            Blue Cheer
            ZZtop

Comment

Ozzy Osbourne
              Black Sabbath
              Rage
              Rage against the machine
              Greenday
              Sonata Arctica
              Stratovarius
              Metallium
              Manowar
              Destruction
              Limp Bizkit
              Pantera

All heavy single guitar bands covering most styles.

The trick is that these bands have a single guitarist and the live tracks sound the same as the cds,they have a good riff\song which holds its own (fatten the sound up a bit to record if you like with layers etc)

Depends what style of music you play but these are the tricks i've seen\heard used to sound heavy:

-Bass\guitar play same riff together (sabbath,rush)
              -Guitar riffs on its own then bass comes in suddenly after a few bars (nu metal style)
              -Downtune the bass and have it constantly rumbling away (metalium,rage,manowar (actually tuned up and like a 2nd guitar really))
              -Use the drums as a rhythm guitar and have blast beats\double bass going (rage,sonata arctica,stratovaious,nightwish,most power metal bands)
              -Have the bass playing on its own at times with guitar coming in for heavy\solo parts (rage,nightwish,manowar)

Comment

Living Colour
                Extreme
                Motley Crue
                Blink 182
                Kings X
                Silverchair
                Damageplan
                Nirvana
                Hail yesterday

Comment

FYI, Necromantia uses two basses (4 strings and 8 strings) in every song they play, without a single guitar. Shaman rules! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

add some distortion to your bass...when the guitarist does a solo, there will be no drop...and don't play the same riffs as the guitarist...
                    I made a rock n roll sin when I tried giving in to make money, had to turn down low.

Comment

Working...
                    X