messing up and what to do to prevent it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• messing up and what to do to prevent it

ok, i learn how to play a certain song, but i always mess up, it is a very simple song. i don't know what i can do to prevent these really stupid errors that i do.

what do you reccomend(sp)?

problems that i have are sometimes when i play a chord on the 5th and 4th string, i sometimes hit the 6th string on accident etc... just stupid errors or i hit the wrong chords/notes.

Re: messing up and what to do to prevent it

Slow down.

Comment

Seems like you haven't practiced enuff in the first place. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

You hit the 6th string with what, your fretting hand, or your picking hand? If the latter, practice keeping your whole right wrist (if you're a righty) as still as possible...that is, you don't need to move that sucka all over the place. Check out the Michael Angelo vids in this forum...look at his picking wrist...very small but precise movements.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Another thing I just noticed that Mike (yeah we're on a first name basis [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) does is he anchors his right middle, ring, and pinky on the body of the guitar. This appears to give him more control of his pick. It also looks like he is muting the E string when he is not doing riffs on it. What a multi-tasker! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Yea, I agree with RacerX. I also anchor my 'free' fingers on guitar's body. I'm working on the ergonomy of hand movement, both hands.

BTW, Racer is it you in your avatar? The reason I ask is that Ran guitar. I have one made by the same company, too.

Comment

Hi Meta, I get asked that a lot! That is Peter from Vader, and I do kinda look like him (when my head's down) -- I wear all black and play a black King V. He is playing a Ran Invader there. What model do you have? Could you start a thread about it in Gtrs by Other, with pics? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              I almost got a Ran bolt-on Explorer last month; I'm very interested in hearing all about yours, and if you visited the factory there in Poland. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

thanks guys.

sometimes i hit the E string with my picking hand, sometimes i mess up putting my fingers for the chords.

Comment

Practice bro. It is as simple as that. A good teacher can help you too.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                    Another thing I just noticed that Mike (yeah we're on a first name basis [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) does is he anchors his right middle, ring, and pinky on the body of the guitar. This appears to give him more control of his pick. It also looks like he is muting the E string when he is not doing riffs on it. What a multi-tasker! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">While we're on the subject, I've been really aware lately of how much I rely on resting my pinky on the pick guard. I've done it as long as I can remember, and I've been trying not to lately: I think I'm anchoring my whole hand too much.

But I can't get away from it.

So anyway, I thought it was bad technique. Maybe not? I should just shut up and play?

Keith
                    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Yeah, man, anytime I get to tell a lawyer to shut up... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, Ron, you look a little better in that pic!

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

k
                        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Practice, Practice, Practice. Play the part over and over again and you will get it down.

Comment

i do have the part down, its always a hit or miss for me.... i sometimes get it, sometimes don't and i know how to play i just i guess

[ March 03, 2004, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: MichaelMadeja ]

Comment

i figured out one problem, i need to keep a clear mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X