Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd...

Hey guys,
    Well, i have played my PS3T for about a half a year and realize that i am improving to the point where i need a better guitar. I am a "melodic shredder" if there is such a thing. Anyway so I bought a Used Jackson 1987 USA Soloist with the works, ebony fretboard neckthroughbody, all of it.
    My problem is this. I got the soloist about a week ago and i am having trouble soloing in the higher regimens when standing. I think the might have to do with just adjusting back to a strat style shaped guitars and not a Rhoads style V. Any input on what might be causing this besides i need to adjust?
    Thanks

Re: Wierd...

It sounds corny...but you may want to wear the guitar a little higher....at least it works for me.....it is easier for me to do the "classical" hand position for those kind of licks/runs.

If a guitar is too low, it puts my wrist in a weird position that isn't comfortable for me.

Comment

I've noticed the Strat-styled guitar shapes are positioned very differently when standing up than the pointy guitar shapes, with the exception of the Warrior which honestly feels and balances like a Strat shape.

I noticed this when I got my KE3. It has to do with the position of the strap button closest to the neck. With the Jackson point shapes (minus the Warrior), there's no upper horn to place the strap button on. So, with that gone, your whole guitar moves leftwards (if you are right-handed). This puts the fretboard further away from you, and in my opinion, it is a LOT easier to play the higher frets when they are beyond your left shoulder line than when your left hand has to come closer to your center-line.

With the Strat-styled shapes, the strap button on the upper horn pushes the guitar rightwards and the high end of the fretboard is closer to the center of the body, exactly where it is difficult to put your wrist comfortably (in my opinion). So, to counter that when I solo, I've learned to either bend forward a little bit so that the guitar hangs by the strap not pressed against my body, or I do this:

It's a little hard to do that with a pointy shape like a Kelly (ouch!!!), but there's no need to do that anyways with the pointy shapes. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I grew up with my Les Paul literally....and I got used to that....

Now that I have strat bodied guitars, it changed a little bit.....nothing major.

Big Red is gonna be tough to get used to for me I think.....never owned a V before.....should be interesting [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I've found that going from a strat shape to a rhoads was a good move in some respects. I dont move my rhoads as much whilst soloing, so i can be doing rhythm work, then going into a solo without having to move it around as much as i did with a strat shape. However, picking felt way different, but over time you get it, but now i find it hard to play any other shape, it just doesnt feel right. V guitars for sure [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
          Cheers

Comment

Is it weird or is it wired? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Where's Ron? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Actually, I'm used to Strat shaped guitars and feel weird with my Warrior. The Warrior seems to sit more to the left and it feels awkward reaching towards the headstock and playing normal E, F and G chords.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Right here. I just point & laugh now.... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

How does a Roswell feel like balance-wise comparing to a strat style guitar?

Comment

thats the reason why i prefer v's and kelly's

Comment

I agree w/Alexi7, I have always played Strat shaped guitars, then I bought a V shape. Now my Strat shaped ones feel "wrong". No logical explanation, they just are no longer comfortable. I only play V's now. I am selling my last "Strat" shaped one (Ibanez rg350Dx) just so I can put the money towards a RR model. But what I did notice on the RX10D model I own, I had to move the "front" strap button to the middle of the neck plate, for it to hang "right". Anyhow, it works for me....to each thier own I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X