Fast Alternate Picking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Alternate Picking

I have a problem with my alternate picking technique, and I wonder if you have some suggestions. My problem is that I'm getting some unwanted string noise while outside picking to a lower string. For example, I have trouble playing this Paul Gilbert lick at high speed:

^ v ^ v
    e|--------------12--------| ^ = down
    B|--12-13-15-----15-13--| v = up
    G|o------------------------o|
    D|o------------------------o|
    A|---------------------------|
    E|---------------------------|

The problem is that on crossing back to the lower string to pick the next note the open B string is sounded with the previous upstroke. So on the example, after I hit that high E and cross back to the B string to pick the D note I hit the open B string note first.

Basically, I’m not lifting my pick over the B string high enough, but it seems once I increase my speed I lose the arc it takes to skip over the B string before picking the D note again.

I’ve played guitar for years mostly blues and really trying to clean up my picking techinique for the faster stuff. This particular lick has always given me trouble as I described and if you have any tips on getting it clean and fast that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any tips! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Fast Alternate Picking

after I hit that high E and cross back to the B string to pick the D note I hit the open B string note first.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is your right hand picking faster than your left hand is fretting? Sounds like what you are describing is a syncronization issue. Try this at around 92BPM (8th note triplets):

1st--play the lick twice using all downstrokes
    pause for one beat
    2nd--play the lick twice using alternate picking starting on a downstroke
    pause for one beat
    3rd--play the lick twice using all upstrokes
    pause for one beat
    4th--play the lick twice using alternate picking starting on an upstroke
    pause for one beat

Repeat this exercise 4 times to get a feel for it, then do it again BUT, this time omit the pauses so you'll be picking the same lick 4 different ways, one right after the other. You may want to slow it down a little bit here.

Also, try playing the lick backwards and applying the same picking principles:

e|12----------------12--|
    B|---15-13-12-13-15-----|
    G|----------------------|
    D|----------------------|
    A|----------------------|
    E|----------------------|

This should help some.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

whoops... double post by mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology:
        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">after I hit that high E and cross back to the B string to pick the D note I hit the open B string note first.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is your right hand picking faster than your left hand is fretting? Sounds like what you are describing is a syncronization issue. Try this at around 92BPM (8th note triplets):

1st--play the lick twice using all downstrokes
        pause for one beat
        2nd--play the lick twice using alternate picking starting on a downstroke
        pause for one beat
        3rd--play the lick twice using all upstrokes
        pause for one beat
        4th--play the lick twice using alternate picking starting on an upstroke
        pause for one beat

Repeat this exercise 4 times to get a feel for it, then do it again BUT, this time omit the pauses so you'll be picking the same lick 4 different ways, one right after the other. You may want to slow it down a little bit here.

Also, try playing the lick backwards and applying the same picking principles:

e|12----------------12--|
        B|---15-13-12-13-15-----|
        G|----------------------|
        D|----------------------|
        A|----------------------|
        E|----------------------|

This should help some.
        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think that will accomplish anything...the only way to gain speed and precision is to start out very slowly and gradually increase speed. Exaggerate the motions if you have to. Alternate picking and crossing strings cleanly is one of the hardest things to get.

When you get up around 140 BPM's with 16th's, you don't have time for error or pick issues....and a lot of licks have to be done in sequence or they will collapse....example...the ending tag in Wait by White Lion or the little break in Don't Stop Believing by Journey. If you miss one pick motion, it crumbles.

That is just my opinion....take it for what it is worth....but I think doing all that weird stuff and "economy picking" hurts a lot more guitar players than helps them.

Comment

I don't think that will accomplish anything...
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dude, why are you knocking my entire post? What I posted also has NOTHING to do with economy picking. Simple logic, when you can play 8th note triplets all downstrokes cleanly at 90BPM and 8th note triplets with all upstrokes cleanly--you'll now be able to play SIXTEENTH note triplets cleanly at 90BPM when you put it together. There is also nothing wrong with practicing your alternate picking inside and outside the strings which is also what is illustrated above. FYI: Paul Gilbert played all upstrokes for about 2 years before a teacher showed him that he was allowed to do downstrokes too. He doubled his speed that week.

Instead of posting criticism on something that works, post a real tip for the topic starter other than "...start out very slowly and gradually increase speed." Duh! [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

[ February 20, 2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Robotechnology ]

Comment

Dude...fucking chill....OK....

All I said was I don't think that will accomplish anything.....and I said it was my opinion so [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I just think that doing all downstrokes or upstrokes to get the technique down is bad ju-ju....

You have your opinion, I have mine....not that either of us is "right" just a different perspective....

So stand down your newbie ass, ummmmkay [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm willing to let bygones be bygones 'cause I noticed that you're a jarhead and just don't know any better [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Jarhead.....FUCK YOU YOU PRICK!!

What the fuck does my being a US Marine have to do with anything?? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I didn't insult you in my post, I just said basically I had a different thought process....and my OPINION was that I thought it was a bad idea to get the technique down that way...and, ummmm, if you are doing all downstrokes or upstrokes for that particular exercise like you mentioned, that IS economy picking.....vice alternate picking.....

Yes, at times sweeping/alternate picking are the way to go....but that is only after you have a solid foundation down to step out.

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] Please, in the future, really think before you type....and don't assume anything by someones chosen profession, OK [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

Comment

DUDE, your turn to chill--I was just doing what that little graemlin I stuck in there is doing--poking (I didn't like that stand down your newbie ass remark--okay--so sue me--sheesh!). No malice was intended. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I just realized this was my first fight in about 4 years of online forum posting. I guess I just lost my virginity [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Hey Racer X, where did you get those dueling graemlins? They're cool!

[ February 21, 2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Robotechnology ]

Comment

It just pissed me off....I just stated my opinion and you automatically assumed I was dissing you....and you got beligerant....which is what I did.

As for the Marine thing, not cool bro. I am proud of who/what I am and I love this profession, and I will not tolerate anybody dumping on it.....our legacy is too important and paid for in way too many lives to be ridiculed. I don't give a fuck if you like us or not, but damn, have a little respect for an organization that has existed since 1775!

If you want to end this we can do that, or if you want to get personal, lets take it off the board and we can do that too.

It's up to you, whichever you want.

Comment

Comment

I thought I did end it with my last post [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that is the coolest graemlin ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X