Chord Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chord Question

The Praise Band leader in our Church and I are having a mild debate about a certain chord. The chord is a G2, which I thought was the same as a Gadd9.

He plays it with this fingering:

E ------3-------
    B ------3-------
    G ------0-------
    D ------0-------
    A ------2-------
    E ------3-------

If my theory is correct, a G2 or Gadd9 would have have the 2nd step of the G scale, A, in it somewhere. This fingering does not. In fact, the notes in this fingering, starting with the root, G B D G D G, are the 1st, 3rd & 5th of the G scale. Wouldn't that make this a G chord as opposed to a G2? He says it is some kind of inversion.

I would think this would be a more correct fingering:

E ------3------
    B ------0------
    G ------2------
    D ------0------
    A ------0------
    E ------3------

What d'ya think?

Re: Chord Question

http://www.metalmethod.com/chords.htm See what Doug thinks! I also think that I wanna try that second chord out, it looks like a cool voicing.

Comment

you are correct. That first chord is a variation on a standard G chord. I actually prefer it to the more common version.

Also, I like that when you change from that G to a D chord, the voicing kind of pivots around the D on the 2nd string.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

That is a Gadd9 my friend. It also happens to be the first chord in Yesterday by The Beatles.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
          That is a Gadd9 my friend.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Which one, JG? The first or the second fingering? Also, is an add9 chord the same as a 2 chord (with the exception of an octave)?

Comment

The 1st one is a Gadd9

Comment

The first chord reads G,B,D,G,D,G or 1,3,5,1,5,1 , there ain't a ninth to be found anywhere. It is not Gadd9. If you want Gadd9, play:

--------3------
              --------3------
              --------2-----
              --------0-----
              --------x-----
              --------3-----

[ February 20, 2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: markpb ]

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                The 1st one is a Gadd9
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am with Markpb on this. How can it be an add9 with no 9th (A) in it?

Comment

Fritz, I agree with you. It looks like Gsus2. In The Beatles complete transcripts that I have they refer to it as a Gadd9 so that is what I have always called it. I wrap my thumb for the root G so I actually play the open A instead of fretting the B.

Comment

nah you're all wrong muahaha...

first off, a Gadd9 needs a 9th. Mark did add a 9th, however you can't take the 3rd out to add a tension, the 3rd is what defines the chord (major/minor). So if you want a Gadd9, here's one way you could play it:

E --------------
                    B ------3------- (or if you don't want a 4th just play the open B)
                    G ------2-------
                    D ------0-------
                    A ------2-------
                    E ------3-------

Comment

based on the knowledge of both guys i ever took lessons from, in order to be a "9th" chord, the "7th" must be present (in G that would be F or F#) If no seventh is present, it is an "add2" type chord. They were pretty smart guys, so I assume they are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                        based on the knowledge of both guys i ever took lessons from, in order to be a "9th" chord, the "7th" must be present (in G that would be F or F#) If no seventh is present, it is an "add2" type chord. They were pretty smart guys, so I assume they are correct.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You have correctly assumed.

Comment

Working...
                        X