I Don't Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Know

Anyone play it in a 3 piece band ?? What did you do to make the middle mellow part sound right ? I have tried a mix of the live version, the studio version, and even broke out the dreaded TAB, and whatever I try, it just doesn't sound right. I am just too used to hearing Randy's 12 guitar tracks on it and the keyboard.... I have the rest of the song inluding the solo pretty much down, but the middle is just too weak. I think we may end up just droping the tune all together. We already do NIB, Crazy Train and Believer, so we may be Ozzy'd out...

Matt

Re: I Don\'t Know

we used to play that.. I play it how Zakk plays it live; with distortion and using the sustain to ring out. As long as the singer does a good job and you keep the rhythm slow, it'll sound mellow whether you use distortion or not. If you play it cleanly it sounds really weak and empty..

Comment

You can try adding a bit more chorus or a bit of reverb. When played live even Randy's version had some overdrive clipping. I just flip to the neck position pickup and ad a bit more reverb and try to let the notes ring as much as possible. If you try going compleatly clean it will sound thin unless you have a doubler of some sort in your rig.

Comment

Ask Rick on here....I just saw his band play it last night at a bar.....was AWESOME!! He got the middle part sounding real good but I'm not sure how he played it/set it up.

Rick where are ya bro!!

Comment

I primarily do the Tribute version with a combined with a couple extra harmonics that Randy does on the studio version. What works for me instead of changing to a super clean sound is just to click hte distortion off and back the volume down a hair...its still the classic cleaner dirty sound. I palm mute most the notes instead of letting the ring fully out...which is what you nornally would want if you were layering them ala the studio version. Keep at and you can get sounding right.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
          X