The clueless shredder -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The clueless shredder -

-would be me... Hi, I've been playing for a while (since 1967, gigging regularly since about '77). I've played a bunch of different styles & genres through the years, but just sorta missed the boat on the whole shred / heavy rock thing. During the 80's, I spent a lot of time working on jazz, chicken pickin', rockabilly, stuff like that... about as close to the shred thing that I got was working on some of the Steve Morse-type, 3 notes per string-type stuff; I also spent some time working on the Frank Gambale sweep picking thing, but pretty much suck eggs at that... Recently I landed a gig with a vocalist / writer / multi-instrumentalist who's had quite a bit of radio success, & has worked with some guys that are household names as far as heavy rock guitar playing is concerned. His new material is quite different, & I think he wanted a different sort of guitar player, which he got with me... but nonetheless, we will also be doing some of his older material, & I'd like to incorporate a bit of flash / speed into my style for that stuff...

What in your opinion are some of the better instructional materials for this style? By "better", I don't necessarily mean the most outrageous licks - I'm looking for a clear, concise teaching style with practical "real world" playing examples. I really like the book/CD instructional format, as I think it's the most convenient reference, but am open to suggestions. Instructional videos sorta drive me nuts, & I don't have a DVD player.

Also - and hey, I'm not starting a thread about speed / technique vs. taste / phrasing (!!!)- but I'd really like to start developing a bit more speed / authority on the instrument. What, in your experience, have been the most effective, results-oriented exercises & routines for developing speed, legato technique, etc.?

Also, I guess I should say that I don't have 2-3 hours per day to devote to this aspiration; while I do take my new gig very seriously, I also record / gig with several different projects, as well as teach guitar & bass. So, realistically, I can probably find about an hour a day, 4-5 days a week, to devote to this, at this time. Additional reference - I do have a formal musical education, so harmony & theory are relatively solid. As far as rock guitar playing, I'm by nature more 'Jeff Beck' than 'Steve Vai' (not that I'm on that level, who the heck is, but you know what I mean!). Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I thought maybe a little background would be helpful. Thanks for any insight.

- Tim

Re: The clueless shredder -

Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina is probably the best single book on guitar technique on the planet.

Great book/CD pack.

Packed with many usefull exercises to gain speed and articulation.

Comment

http://neturn.sinacity.com/item/9_07...326_index.html

Thank you very much, LPCustom, I'll check it out.

Comment

Not a problem...glad I could help [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It has very little "musical" value as far as harmonic content etc., but it is mainly aimed at developing technique and speed/efficiency.

Although, if you string together a few of the exercises, you can get some ripping sequences [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The section of how to practice is worth more than the book and CD alone to be honest, and the picking mechanics are also awesome.
        [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom:
          Not a problem...glad I could help [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It has very little "musical" value as far as harmonic content etc., but it is mainly aimed at developing technique and speed/efficiency.

Although, if you string together a few of the exercises, you can get some ripping sequences [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The section of how to practice is worth more than the book and CD alone to be honest, and the picking mechanics are also awesome.
          [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Perfect, just exactly what I need. Thanks again.

Comment

Okay, I received the Troy Stetina book in the mail today. Just from thumbing through the text & listening to the CD while driving around in the car, it appears to be exactly what I was seeking. Looking forward to diving into this material. Good call there, LPCustom.

Comment

Troy Stetina is very, very good!

I enjoy Speed Mechanics immensely and use it every day in some form or fashion....along with some of his other stuff he has done.

For somebody who has the basic grasp of playing and has a little experience, with dedicated study you can become a hell of a guitarist if you follow his method.

I only wish I had his stuff back in the 80's

It was Doug Marks or pretty much nothing, besides the "Star Licks" products by REH.

Thanks for the thanks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep, I'm hoping this material will give ol' slowhand here (moi) a good swift kick in the arse! Seems to be very well laid out & methodical - ain't nothin' to it but to do it! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X