Need help speeding up/playing along with CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help speeding up/playing along with CD

OK, I've been playing for about a year and a half. I'm pretty good with the pentatonic scales, and a couple of the *olian modes. I can play those at 120bpm on the metronome comfortably and cleanly. I mainly use tab (yeah, I know) to figure out the songs I want to learn, then play those the best I can until I can relatively play it at the speed of the actual song. This is when I'm feeling great. Then I put the CD in to play along and I'm all over the place, sound like total ass and can't keep up if my life depended on it. It's very discouraging [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

What do you guys think? Just keep playing along with the CD although I'm always way behind? Keep playing it slowly and cleanly and eventually building up even more speed? Maybe try playing some slower type rock music? I'm trying to learn old Metallica and Slayer, I know those are really fast songs, maybe some AC/DC or ZZ Top or something?

The other problem I have is practice time, I work full time but have the house to myself all morning. I can usually squeeze in about 1-2 hours per day of practice time. I am taking lessons every Saturday right now learning whatever my teacher tells me for that week and use the rest of the time to work on songs. I just want to make sure I'm using my limited practice time to it's full potential.

Thanks!

Re: Need help speeding up/playing along with CD

Speed is only accomplished through a serious ammount of effort with a metronome.

To play fast cleanly, you have to play clean slowly and gradually build up.

The time you spend now on pick control and picking (alternate, tremelo etc.) is the foundation upon which everything else will be based.

Repetitive speed licks are the best way to gain confidence, speed, and clarity.

There is no easy answer to playing along with CD's bro.....if you have to, digest it in short chunks and put it together.

Comment

OK thanks guys! I do have a metronome and use it when practicing scales, but it's weird when trying to play licks, since you have to account for hammer ons and pull offs, palm muting and stuff like that, unless I practice those with the metronome too?

Oh, and I'm up to 160bpm on all 5 pentatonic patterns cleanly [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

i know everyone says that speed is mostly about your picking technique

but i can alternate pick decently fast but my left hand just doesnt wanna move

its like its always tensed up and i cant get it relaxed?

Comment

you need a metronome

Comment

Working...
          X