X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metranone

whats the proper way to use one?

Re: metranone

Get an exercise in mind, be it triplets, 16th notes, septuplets etc. and break it down...first memorize the lick/pattern/sequence, figure out the picking pattern (alternate, inside, outside etc.) and apply it to the exercise with the metronome.

Pick a comfortable speed at which you can do the exercise flawlessly, then increase it by about 5 BPM to "push" your limit.....then fall back....then push ahead say 10 from your original "comfort" speed.

The cool thing with a metronome is that you can play any lick imaginable if you slow it down enough and bring it up to speed gradually.

Keep a log of your practice speed with a certain lick, and note your progress. You may spend weeks on an exercise then suddenly break through, or keep at a certain plateau forever then magically increase your max BPM.

I would recommend first starting out with single string licks, to get your alternate picking working, then start to cross strings.

Also, each string "feels" a little different.

Hope this helps [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

so 16th would be 4 notes between each beat?

Comment

Yup.....

Counted 1-e-and-a 2-e-and-a etc.

Not to be nosy, but are you a beginner??

There are a lot of good books out there to help you out.

Comment

I don't know what a metranone is, but I think you're looking for a metronome. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jinx:
            whats the proper way to use one?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">turn it on...and use it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom:
              Yup.....

Counted 1-e-and-a 2-e-and-a etc.

Not to be nosy, but are you a beginner??

There are a lot of good books out there to help you out.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ive been playing seriously for about a 6 months i still cant play anything though [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Start with quarter notes. then move to eigths,sixteenths etc. For sixteenths, "1 e " falls on one click and the " and a " fall on the upbeat. One click = two notes. not between the notes. Is the metronome a electronic one? I feel their the best. Mine was about 25.00 and does several different rhythms.

Comment

its a cheap electric one had it about a hear but never really used it but im starting to practice exclusivly with it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] maybe one day i will be able to shred

Comment

Good Luck,
                    A metronome is an invaluable tool. Check out the book by Troy Stetina. Lead Mechanics. Start slow, very slow and patiently move to another BPM after say you have become comfortable and its second nature (maybe a several days later).

Comment

Working...
                    X