Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a good metal rhythm book to work with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a good metal rhythm book to work with.

Can someone suggest a good rhythm book to work out of ?

Maybe it's the fact that i've spend the last year working entirely on leads, but I stink at the rhythm.

It may be my lack of theory, but I feel like something is holding me back. I'm not very good at doing gallops or any of those fun tricks. This is metal rhythm guitar im working on mind you.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks all.

Re: I need a good metal rhythm book to work with.

Apparently, some of my friends regard me as quite the competant rhythm player in regards to my picking-hand endurance and precision. Maybe it's because I spend most of the time practicing riffs and not forcing myself to learn leads, although I'm trying to work more on leads now.

I don't have any books to suggest, but what I listened to and practiced with were Iced Earth albums. Strange how Iced Earth pops up whenever there's a discussion thread about rhythm, but I honestly feel that playing Iced Earth riffs over and over will give you the stamina, speed, and precision needed for percussive rhythms, in my opinion. Personally, it worked for me, but it may not work for others.

Be forewarned that Iced Earth is just one style of rhythm playing which has a lot of galloping and alternate picking on only a few notes on a single string, so maybe this "lack of theory" you were talking about won't get helped much here. Although, Iced Earth does have some string-skipping riffs...

If I could, I would trade places with you in a second. Learning rhythm is a LOT more fun than learning leads for me. With rhythm, you're learning the driving force behind the song and what makes riffs sound crushing and percussive. Sure, you can make your guitar weep or screech or deliver a flurry of notes with leads, but come on, it's metal and you want great powerful memorable riffs because rhythm is the foundation of the song.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddoK:

Maybe it's the fact that i've spend the last year working entirely on leads, but I stink at the rhythm.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have been using Metal Rhythm Guitar Volumes 1 of the Troy Stetina series. It's an excellent book.

You can check them out here http://www.stetina.com/instruction.html.

I have been meaning to pick up volume 2 someday.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm:
        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by PaddoK:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have been using Metal Rhythm Guitar Volumes 1 of the Troy Stetina series. It's an excellent book.

You can check them out here http://www.stetina.com/instruction.html .

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I saw that on the back of my Speed Mechanics book, but I couldn't find it when I was at guitar center.

And to NOTP, it's not so much that I lack the skill to play rhythm, it's just that I want sort of theory behind the rhythm so I can have a more creative and unique approach to it, instead of just mess arround till I find one I like. I often feel sort of trapped by my lack of knowledge in rhythm, like im stuck in certain patterns and my playing is limited. Of course I feel the same way with leads sometimes, but I'm significantly more competant lead player.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by PaddoK:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am in Troy Stetina's Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol II and it is awesome. A lot of theory.

If you are looking to learn some cool little tunes while you are progressing, check Troy Stetina's Total Rock Guitar. There are some killer songs in there and they aren't just metal.

Actually, all of Troy's methods are excellent.

Comment

I practiced an f-ing ton of Iced Earth and Megadeth. Megadeth is teh speedz0r and Iced Earth is the hand precision / technique. I can do triplets at 250 bpm endlessly now...

Comment

Pick up some old tablature song books from bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Slayer and play along. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                Iron Maiden,
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bah! I don't know what it is, but I find Maiden's rhythm's SUPER easy after doing Iced Earth. I was obsessed with Iced Earth for a while, but then I moved on to Maiden and it seemed so easy! The solos on the other hand... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm still working on them. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree with everyone else, Troy Stetina's Metal Rhythm Guitar 1 & 2 are great books, but I think you'd really like his Thrash Guitar Method. I'm not sure if it's still in print, but it shows up on ebay every once in a while. And for more on theory, try to find the first printings of Heavy Metal Rhythm Guitar 1 & 2. Totally different books, more 80's style metal, but lots of theory. They came with cassettes. Troy's books are the best I've seen, and I've seen 'em all. I think...

Comment

Working...
                  X