Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best way to work with speed mechanics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best way to work with speed mechanics?

Ok, this is my 3rd thread in 5minutes [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I know many of you are familiar with this book
    So..whats the best way to work the book?I want to improve my speed and accuracy so I can start to shred [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Should i focus on playing one excercise for several hours straight or play one excercise like 5min then an other excercise for 5min and so on?
    Or is it any other way?
    A way that i should NOT practise?

Share your thoghts and opinions! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: The best way to work with speed mechanics?

don't practice with pain. otherwise...hammer away. I have that book, whenever I yank it out..I usually do all the warm-up exercises int eh front first...then move on to a couple select ones and then I work on that flight of the bumblebee transcription at the end of the first part of the book.

Comment

Work on your problem areas. Use a metronome, be honest with yourself, and keep records of your practice sessions. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Don't start out at 140 BPM [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] ....start out at like 90 BPM and slowly work up to your peak, then add a few notches. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Speed without clarity and control isn't cool.... [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Also, I think the mechanics section of the book are the highlights. They cover every conceiveable variation of inside and outside picking. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay

Yeah, I know.. speed without control is NOT cool. I've heard a couple guys at my school trying to play Van Halen solos, and it was really sloppy...not cool

Thats why I'm starting at 70bpm with that single string 1234 excercise.
        Don't laugh! I just want to get a good technique that doesn't sound sloppy

Comment

Don't worry about speed...it will come with dedicated practice...nobody here will laugh at you, trust me.

Speed only comes from playing something very, very slowly and gradually working up.

Work on your picking hand, then fret hand, then work them together.

Comment

Why not use both hands at the same time?
            I've no problem with alternate picking if you meant that

Comment

Where can you get the copies of this book? Are they still in print?
              I can usually find other Stetina books on eBay, but this isn't one that usually pops up
              Thanks for any help

Comment

^ Amazon.com

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Dude:

All I meant was this....to play the guitar, you have to have 2 simultaneous things going on, the right hand and the left hand. Each one is doing something different.

If you are having difficulty, isolate the problem and work it out. I.E. if you can't seem to do inside picking, make a exercise that includes inside picking and break it down, figure out the picking part, then incorporate the left hand, then work them togeter.

Amazon usually carries the book in stock, but if you go to www.stetina.com, he also has them there.

Comment

I am not familar with the book but I know what worked for me in terms of building speed. Do as LPC said and practice with a metrnome and use alternate picking. I use scales and use 3 or four note sequences...meaning if a 3, 4 and 6 note pattern. (i.e do a triplet for every click of the metrnome or 4 or 6)

Clarity comes from being accurate at slower speeds first, then build up speed. Also try insane speed to find out you limit. I'd do this everyday for a couple hours until you feel comfortable. I don't practice exercises very much but if my chops are sucking I just practice with a metrnome and they come back pretty quicj

It takes a lot of work and and you have to put in the time in order to improve. remember to warm up slowly first so you don't pull something
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                      X