Hybrid picking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid picking?

I'm playing the super mario bros main theme, and the tab says "use hybrid picking" (?)

Whats that?

Re: Hybrid picking?

Picking two different notes, one with your pick, the other with your finger. Using your pick and another finger at the same time, also sometimes known as the George Lynch "claw technique". It's when you pick normal (holding the pick between your thumb and index finger) and use your middle finger to pick another string at the same time.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Okok, i see. Thanks man

The tab says "Use your pinky and ring finger in addition to the pick"
      Should I alternate pick with the pick (I always do that) and alternate between the fingers? That's f*&"%ing hard!

Comment

It's good to learn to alternate with your fingers, a different finger for each string. I haven't done it in awhile, but I mostly used my middle and ring fingers, sometimes I would use the pinky.

Comment

Same thing as "chickin pickin" for country/bluegrass music, correct Joe? Actually, I guess that's more "Inbred" picking huh? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave->
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Actually, yeah, I think it would be the same as chickin' pickin'. Inbred picking! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmm... never tried actually using the pick during this kind of picking. Wouldn't that give you a nice sharp picked tone on the string you use the pick on, and a dull mellow plucked tone on the string you use your finger on?

When the situation calls for it, I clasp the pick in my index finger and use the pad of my thumb to pick the thicker string, and use my middle finger to pick the treble string. If you've tried Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" intro bit, you'll know what I'm talking about. But, Dave Murray keeps the pick between his teeth and uses his fingers to even play the little lead line that follows the slow intro and grabs the pick out of his mouth sometime afterwards.

I think Joe Satriani's "Baroque" has this kind of picking too.

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Inbred picking. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Whenever playing the intro to Hallowed Be Thy Name, I just use my pick and middle finger. I never had a problem with the finger being duller than the pick personally. I'm just more comfortable using a pick instead of just my thumb. Sometimes I'll play it with just my pick, since the E and B strings are next to each other and it's not like you have to skip any strings. Just pick the open low E and let it ring out, then pick the melody on the E and B.

Comment

You can do some fun tricks with hybrid picking - like huge intervals quickly, or play chords on the top with three fingers plucking/picking and then a bassnote with the pick.

Or my favorite, playing a song with travis picking like dust in the wind and using a pick and fingers. It's a good workout for your right hand.

Pete

Comment

Ahhh, "Dust In The Wind", a fantastic song. I prefer to use my thumb, index finger, and middle finger for that song, since that was the way I was taught, but any way is fine. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Toejam, whatchoo be playin', man? E and B strings? You talking the HIGH E string on "Hallowed"? I've never used that string... here's the way I hear the song (made a quick Guitar Pro tab):

That's my inbred picking. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] This way you do the harmony at the same time. The harmony third is played an octave below, which is played on the A string. *shrug*

There's apparently bass harmonics in the "Hallowed" intro as well, but they're super-faint. You can see Janick do them on guitar on the "Rock In Rio" DVD.

Comment

I've always used the E and B strings. Starting with the 7th fret E string and 8th fret B string together, moving down also on E/B strings to 5/7, 3/5, 2/3, 3/5, 2/3, 0/0, 2/3. I wish I could learn to tab stuff out, but you get the idea. Same notes, just a different way of playing them than you tabbed them.

Comment

Here are a few small videos I did real quick of hybrid picking:

http://members.cox.net/vhpete/Leyenda.avi

This one has a bass line that moves around and a stationary 'b' string drone

http://members.cox.net/vhpete/rhiannon.avi

Here we have a bass line that continues while the chords change above it

Hybrid picking is a fun technique, and can allow you to do some stuff you just can't with a pick only. Y'all oughta try it sometime [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

"Leyenda"!!! By Isaac Albeniz! Man, I gave up on that song because it was so freaking fast. Damn, I need perseverance. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But, I couldn't get your video clips to work, Pete. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

How toejam, ever notice how Maiden's "Mother Russia" intro sounds almost exactly like "Leyenda", except "Leyenda" is in 6/4 and "Mother Russia" is in 4/4? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ahh, so what you're doing is the harmony an octave above what I tabbed on the A string. I gotta try that way sometime... looks SO much easier. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I haven't heard Mother Russia in a very long time, so I don't really remember. I never got Maiden's No Prayer For The Dying or Fear Of The Dark, so I'm not real familiar with all the songs from those albums (I did have NPFTD on a cassette I dubbed from a friend of mine, but it's in a big bag of old tapes somewhere in my closet. I did have Leyenda tabbed out in an old Guitar For The Practicing Musician mag years ago and still play what little I remember of it every once in awhile now.

And I actually discovered where I learned to play Hallowed that way from... I dug up my old Iron Maiden tab book (Hal Leonard series) that's got The Trooper on the front, it's got all the songs from Iron Maiden, Killers, TNOTB and Piece Of Mind. I haven't played some of those songs in years, and some of the old arrangements are tabbed out very strangely and different than I would play most of them.

Comment

With pure fingerpicking, it is mostly the thumb-played bass notes that come out dull, where the thinner strings respond more 'snappily' to fingerpicking. By substituting a pick for the thumb on the bass notes and shifting the higher notes to the 2nd, 3rd, and pinky fingers, you can get a much nicer overall sounding on fingerpicked pieces--especially on electric guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X