Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

open string noise during sweeping...what the hell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open string noise during sweeping...what the hell.

no matter what I do when i do a sweep that requires me to lift a finger and reposition it on another string...when it lifts it always pulls the damn string just enough for it to make that extremely annoying open string noise. I can't figure out what I should do to stop this piece of crap noisieness (sp)

Is it my right hand? how do I keep it from doing this?

Re: open string noise during sweeping...what the hell.

I have the same problem. I try to mute it with my picking hand. But if I'm fretting a note which lies on the string beneath the string which rings out, I try to mute it with that finger.

BTW, I started sweeping 1 week ago, and I'm making like zero progress [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

I know this sounds weird...but you have to figure out which way works best for you to mute with BOTH hands while sweeping/skipping strings....

I use a combination of unused fingers, palm etc. to clean up my technique.

Try to seperate both actions....getting a fluid sweeping motion while separating the notes...then work on the left hand and "roll" through the arp...then SLOWLY with a metronome combine them.

Comment

I actaully do most of my muteing on the fretting hand side, something I stole from George Bellas. You gotta pick the note and lift off enough to kill the note and no more. Also it's great to lay your index finger across all strings and use the other 3 fingers when possible.
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

thanks for the advice guys. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

It seems I don't have problem with the initial muting the string..its when I Have to pull my finger off that string and fret a string either high or lower than it. THat is when the string noise comes into play..and ruins all my fun.

Comment

Simple solution: Don't sweep! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

No, but seriously, just keep on practicing and trying. It'll work eventually. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, i used that mentality for a little while..and I quit trying to sweep. But now...my alt picking is about where I want it, as is the tremelo...so here I am back at sweeping. at teh end of the day yesterday I did notice a tiny bit of progress.

Doing the same sweep pattern for 2 hours can really get on your nerves though. I was obsessed...and I'll probably get back at it here this afternoon after my classes are finished.

screw halloween I need to have sweeping technique that'll make malmsteen go on a donut binge of jealousy. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Bring more condoms and KY jelly - DOH!! That was for the triplets - sorry! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I think LPC and CS have the best advice;
                I like to bar all strings with my index and also follow the sweep up and down with my thumb and the thumb edge of my palm as a mute.

When all else fails, add max gain and a 400ms delay at 1/3 wet mix, 3 delays, and just keep moving! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW, Yngwie doesn't like donuts! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[ November 01, 2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

i'd like to see a video of this index finger barring technique. I'm working on 3 adn 4 string sweeps and it seems I need to move my index finger. I guess it must depend on the type of chord you're arrpegiating.

Comment

Index finger barring ala malmsteens demon driver arp section is best muted with the right hand so no notes bleed together and make a chord

For the rest of the arp shapes that are traditional or modern you mute with the left hand fingers as explained above

Of course you can mute with your right hand if you want to as it drasticaly alters the tone..heavy muting can realy make the unmuted notes ring out.

just keep playing mate,i used to sweep/pick/tap all the time when i was single..lol..whenever there was free time..so if your staying in and watching a film play all the way through it and make sure you have a big bottle of beer with a sodding long straw [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Might sound weird but raise your action!! Meaning raise the string heighth, most really accomplished sweepes usually have a pretty high action which facilitates muting the strings....Check out Yngwie his action is pretty high but he plays with .008's hmmmmmmm maybe he's onto something......

Good luck dude!!

Chris

Comment

John Petrucci gives a pretty good lesson in his Rock Discipline video. Since we're on the subject, how do some of you normally hold the pick? I find myself losening my grip when I sweep so that the pick glides across the strings rather than digging in. I'm not sure if this is "correct" but I'm curious how others approach pick holding while sweeping. I've only recently started practicing this technique. I've always avoided it but I think it sounds great so I've started to focus on it.

Comment

Easy. Two words.... more practice. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Seriously, you can't be an accomplished sweeper without many hours of practice, and by that I mean practice them slowly first, articulating each note cleanly. The hard part is to coordinate the picking and fret hands to move seamlessly through the exercise. Once you can do it slowly without string noise, then you can work on building up speed. I hold my pick normally, at about a 80-90 degree angle to the strings, and it helps to not use the wrist so much, ala Michael Angelo. Watch his vid if you REALLY are serious about it. It helped me tremendously!

That's what worked best for me, and I have been doing Malmsteen sweeps since his first album came out. It took me about a year to do them cleanly and consistently like the record, so don't lose hope. It takes time.

Comment

I seem to have 3 string sweeping ascending down pretty goo dnow...still have some trouble with string noise on descending sweeps though. Yes, I'm an advocate of just straight out practiceing. But I'm getting somewhere now...don't think I"ll be able to really implement teh sweeps inot my own playing but I can play some CoB leads now....so that's makes me happy.

Comment

As far as how to hold the pick for sweeps, I grip it pretty tightly and I only have a very small piece of the point exposed. This helps me in a couple of ways; it gives each note a really audible pick attack sound, kind of like a "chunk" sort of sound I guess. Next, the flesh of my thumb is so close to the string I'm on that it sort of dampens the string a bit which helps to keep the string from ringing too long. Finally, if I want to pinch a hramonic off somewhere in the sweep pattern, my pick and fingers are already in position to do it. It also can be used to alter the tone of your notes like Lynch might do. Ever notice how his rhythm and leads seem to be trebly at times. The tighter and closer I hold the pick, the easier it is to change your tone arbitrarily with you r pickhand. No knob use at all. Strictly how you are picking can change your tone and that's how I do it. Just a couple of ideas for ya.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X