Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunings

Hy,

What tunings do you use and for what sounds ? What i mean is: which are the best tunings for thrash (think bay area), modern (real) metal (nevermore, COB for ex) and for progressive&neo-classic metal stuff (petrucci, malmsteen, romeo, etc). Oh, and i also am a big fan of Chuck Schuldiner - what tuning did he use ? If you can take the time and let me know what tunings are this great players using i'd really apreciate it.

Thanks, and please help me out as i'm pretty much a new guy with guitar playing !

Re: Tunings

I play in standard tuning or down a half step for the shred stuff. Death plays in D.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

C F A# D# G C is a cool tuning. Of course, you'll need a heavy-gauged set of strings.

Comment

A couple of my guitars are tuned to standard E, most of them are Eb. Two are in D (the one with Floyd has five springs and 10-46 strings, the other with TOM bridge has 11-48). Sometimes I do the Drop D or Drop Db thing with the fixed bridges. My 7-string is standard tuning, of course with the low B, strung 10-46 with the B being a 56.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I usually play in Standard or drop-D. But lately I've started tuning to (low to high) BEADF#B, AEADF#B, and CFA#D#GC for Death/Thrash metal, which I really Like. I'm going to buy another guitar which will always be tuned to one of these tunings. String gauges 13-60 work fine, except for the low A which sounds rather dull and tubby.

Comment

I use Eb and droped Db for general practice but for songs and band stuff I use C-c [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Rar!

Comment

D is for DEATH.

I play in C-F-A#-D#-G-C and standard and drop D. but all the stuff I make up is in C tuning. Becuase its the only guitar I brought with me to school.

Comment

I play mostly in D## and C#b. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] About a quarter step higher than D# and C, actually. It just sounds better to me than straight Eb or C. No clue why.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well, lately I've been particular to drop Cb and a slightly higher Fb. I think I'll try this 7 string tuning soon:
                  E#
                  Fb
                  B#
                  A
                  Ab
                  B#b
                  G##b#

Comment

Hell, I should buy that 9 string soloist on sale, then I'll come up with some wierd, ambient and tense sounds that'll make Meshuggah **** their pants. Hell ya, my band will be called Stupid Wierd Ass Viking F*cker(s)

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
                      [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well, lately I've been particular to drop Cb and a slightly higher Fb. I think I'll try this 7 string tuning soon:
                      E#
                      Fb
                      B#
                      A
                      Ab
                      B#b
                      G##b#
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">drop Cb is the same as drop B you know this right? and your E# tuning of the low string has the same pitch as the Fb. dork. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

an dif you want to double sharp a note teh ## turns into an X. FYI

Comment

E# doesn't=Fb, it is the same as F. Yes, I know Cb is really B and that ## is a x. I don't know if there's a symbol for double flat(bb) though.

Comment

oops, my bad. on the Fb...yeah still, you like having the two low strings backwards (as far as pitch?), there is no alternate symbol for a double flat.

Comment

yeah still, you like having the two low strings backwards (as far as pitch?)
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Anything is possible [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

all I can say is....hurry and get a demo made!

Comment

Working...
                              X