Mr. Crowley solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Crowley solo

Okay, why can't I get the first solo to Mr. Crowley right???? I can totally nail the second solo. Every tab I see for the first solo has it exactly the same, so people obviously have the right notes tabbed, yet the phrasing sounds wrong to me. It's that blues-based ripping part. Anybody else have this problem or some advice?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Mr. Crowley solo

I don't put too much emphasis on note for note tabs. At least for me if I find a part that doesn't sound right I'll just play it by ear. A lot of tabs are whacked out position wise (for my technique).

I can't nail it either but then again I usually just try to get as close to what Randy did as I can within my playing style.

Here's my version
    Crowley 1
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
      I don't put too much emphasis on note for note tabs. At least for me if I find a part that doesn't sound right I'll just play it by ear. A lot of tabs are whacked out position wise (for my technique).
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I totally agree, but I've seen the Crowley solo tabbed in magazines, online, etc..., and they all agree about the opening sequence. For some reason, I just can't get the phrasing right.

Your version sounds pretty good, by the way.
      [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Powertube, if you are referring to the opening descending blues riff, it's pretty accurate if you are getting the tab from the old Guitar for the Practicing Musician. I have that issue (there aren't many I DON'T have! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), and I thought it coincided well with what's on the album.

If you play it slow, enough times and get the feel for it, it should become fairly easy. If you typically have a hard time with alternate picking, this one will give you fits for sure! I was lucky enough to get that solo down pretty much note for note after playing it for the last 15 years! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't worry about hitting it note for note - go more for the feel. Or at least that's what I do [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

here's my version of the first solo:

http://members.cox.net/ampclips/crowleysolo.mp3

and a half-assed version of the 2nd solo - much lower quality mp3:

http://members.cox.net/ampclips/crowleysolo2.mp3

Pete

Comment

I highly reccomend you keep trying. You will be so happy when you nail it. Randy used that phrasing in a few other songs and there is alot of things you can do with it. The key for getting the very begining down is sweeping the three strings in tempo. That should help with the phrasing. As far as the decending run, the only really tricky thing is getting the pull off and alternate picking in sync. Try emphisizng one or the other and speed one or the other up. He basicly does the same thing in the begining of Believer just in a different key if that helps any. Now take that same style decending run, and when you go to move to the next lower string, also move down one fret. That's my Fav guitar run.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
              Don't worry about hitting it note for note - go more for the feel. Or at least that's what I do [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

here's my version of the first solo:

http://members.cox.net/ampclips/crowleysolo.mp3

and a half-assed version of the 2nd solo - much lower quality mp3:

http://members.cox.net/ampclips/crowleysolo2.mp3

Pete
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">wow! i really like the new stuff you put in the second solo! RAWK! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

For the tablature, ignore the notes which make the song more difficult to play or that disrupt phrasing. Less is more. Non-guitarists will never notice, and other guitarists will always claim it’s played some other way no matter how you finger it. So you might as well play it smooth and fast and cut down the learning time to boot. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X