Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before a new set of strings is worn in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long before a new set of strings is worn in?

Ok...i am just wodnering what others do after they put a new set of strings on their guitar to "warm it up"....i usually change my strings the nite before a gig..(my band gigs about once a week) after i change the strigns, i stretch them severall times and then i play on them for a while..now i know that this can be different for everyone but how long do you wear in your strings before they get to their sweet spot...

PS..i play ernie ball 11-48...on my soloist...strait C# tunning...

Re: How long before a new set of strings is worn in?

About a week actually. Otherwise they tend to be kinda harsh still. I find about a weeks worth is good to warm em up and get a nice tine without being to shrill. Of course there are new strings that are supposed to act like already worn in ones...........just make sure they don't go out of tune. I usually stretch pretty hard until they don't go out of tune anymore and then they are properly broken in.

Comment

I use 8's and they go out of tune for about a week...I try to make them last by doing extra winds and the reversed ball-end thing. I have 11's on one guitar and they are rock solid. I think it really depends on your guage. Can't wait to try on my new '92 RR1.
      I made a rock n roll sin when I tried giving in to make money, had to turn down low.

Comment

I stretch them out really well, takes about 10 minutes.. after that they sound the best to me, I love the sound of brand new strings [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Same for me. That fresh brightness is where it's at! After stretching the strings out properly I hardly ever have to tune.

Comment

After about 7 hours of playing, strings sound super. I practice with my band Friday and Saturday from about 5-930 each day, and on Saturdays I sound better with my strings, and thats ebcause 2 hours before practice I play guitar for a bit, then I play.

Through the week I may be lucky to get 3 hours in.

Man I'm a loser.

Comment

well once they wear in...they aren't new anymore.

so I'd say never. New strings aren't capable of being worn in until they become used strings.

Comment

Hmmmmmm with the Elixirs, i stretch em for about 5 minutes, wait, and stretch em again just to make sure. Normally after the 1st time they don't change pitch at all unless my knife edges are dull or something.

Comment

Working...
                X