Sweep picking ... Help me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweep picking ... Help me!

So I've been trying to get sweep picking it seems forever and it's just not happening and I'm really frustrated! I want to be able to jam on songs by all my favorite players but keep getting stuck at the sweeping parts.

I practise the sweeps slowly like they always say and I use a metronome. I muste at the brige but sometimes the notes don't sound or it's a muffled mess.

Could you guys help me improve my sweep picking with whatever help you can give? Much thanks.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Re: Sweep picking ... Help me!

You have to do it smoothly and evenly - most people kinda hesitate after each string. It should look like a strum - nice and smooth. Also, you have to let go of each string and mute it right after playing it so the notes don't run into each other.

Pete

Comment

Thanks man. Keep em coming guys. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

concentrate on:

- make a ''brushing'' motion with your right hand

- Lift each finger slightly as the subsequent notes are played so your left hand rolls across the neck

Comment

Should one start practicing with a full arpeggio that goes across all the strings or start small - like 3 strings? I've been practicing 3 strings at a time to work on fluidity, and occasionally do one that uses 4 strings. I'm getting smoother at them, though.
          And what about arpeggios that include hammer-ons? The "4-string" one I'm working on goes:

E||----------------------------||
          B||---------------8------------||
          G||------------9-----9---------||
          D||---------9-----------9------||
          A||--7h-10-----------------10--||
          E||----------------------------||
          (fingering)
          I P R R M R R P

I think Yngwie does this one higher up on the neck in his instructional video (where he's talking about they asked him to do it slower, and he said it WAS slow, and he does it in like 64th notes [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

I've got the sweeping pick part down, I just can't get my fingers to keep up [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Dude, sweep in a motion like this to start.(please excuse this, I'm bad at making Tab templates)

-------- 10-13--13-10------------------|
            ----- 11-----------------11-------------|
            -10-12--------------------12-10--------|
            --------------------------------------|

That's the alledged "proper way" to start. then you move that shape up the neck and down, building speed. Like previously mentioned, your fingers should alleviate the pressure on the string it's playing to keep the note from ringing out. Remember, Upstroke the first and last notes on the ascending arpeggio, and vice versa for the descending one.

hope this helps!

Comment

like the other lads have said,start with triads on the top G-B-E strings.I 1st learnt the triads with a hammeron on the top string
              so try major-minor-dimished shaepes in triad form

After that is fluid and clean(you need to hear EVERY NOTE!!!)some people just rake and all you hear is the low strings then the high..the rest is a fast chord you can go onto the extended proper chord shapes..i hardly play triads in extended form too [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] i would rather play 7ths 6ths 9ths as these sound better than normal arps.

when you get them nailed you can also come down them without the pick,slighty smoother tone there.
              have fun

Comment

i tabbed some sweep excersises it contains some easy major 3 string arpreggios [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

you might wanna check it out:

http://members.lycos.nl/shakeel2001

more to come soon!

Comment

Use a metronome, start with triads as said before, then to the Major arpeggio shapes. The dificulty with the major shapes is learning to roll your finger. Say for example if your playing an A major arpeggio, 5th string 12th fret. You have to hit the b (4th string 14th fret) and c (3rd string 14th fret)with only your 3rd finger. The arpeggio looks like this.

12h17p12
                  13--------13
                  14------------14
                  14----------------14
                  12h15--------------------15
                  ---------------------------

Use those hammers and pulls as shown, don't try and pick them, some guys do but it's not necessary and that will get you alot faster. Sweep picking IMHO is one of the must difficult things you can do with the guitar. Mastering fretting the note exactly as the time you pick it and release it immediately after is hard as hell and takes the utmost patience. Also, try and keep your fingers as close to the fretboard as possible when you let off the string. I'm getting decent at it, it sounds clean and it is sweep picking at a decent tempo but I've been working on it a little each day for months.
                  Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

Just wanna say thanks for the info here. I'm working on my sweep technique as well and this is real helpful.
                    Cheers! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

when sweeping upwards (towards higher notes) i often mute the strings i just played with my right thumb. i developed this unconsciously (: (:

yeah, the trick is to keep your right wrist and forearm relaxed - as always when playing - and use a smooth continuous motion. also try not to "angle" your pick in opposite direction of the sweep, kinda like a paint brush. keep it in your usual position.
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Would you keep your fingers on the string?

When sweeping, would you keep your fingers on the string, just lifting off to mute the sound but keeping them on the string or remove them totally?

Comment

Re: Would you keep your fingers on the string?

[ QUOTE ]
                          When sweeping, would you keep your fingers on the string, just lifting off to mute the sound but keeping them on the string or remove them totally?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can do that, go for it. In theory, it would be the perfect way to do it. I seem to use a combo if pick and fret-hand muting. Whatever works for you is what you should do. Good luck and keep us posted on how it's coming along, remember to be patient and slowly build up speed. The more correct you technique is when playing slow, you'll make less mistakes when you speed up. It's kinda silly sounding to play slow to learn fast but it works.

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

If you've got a few bucks and a DVD player, Joe Stump has an excellent DVD on sweeping. He breaks all of the mechanics down and even starts with 2-string arpeggios before moving on to 3-, 4-, and 5-string sweeps. He also hits a bit of theory, which is nice, too. If you want to learn sweeping, I think this DVD would be an excellent purchase for you: Arpeggio Lesson, Vol. I
                            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                            X