Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get those really harsh pick squeals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get those really harsh pick squeals?

im talking about the kinda squeals you typically hear in zakk wylde and dime bag darrels and jeff loomis' stuff. I get a squeal but its nowhere near wylde's or loomis' stuff

Re: How do you get those really harsh pick squeals?

Ya just gotta get better at it imo. I can get some pretty good ones out of a clean bass amp if i'm on a good day. Zakk does em a lot on the lower strings as well, and those sound a lot darker, and more full. Its a lot harder to do on those strings though >.<

but ya, I think you just have to get used to doing it on a regular basis, without even thinking about it, and you'll be able to get some good ones out. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

You have to find the "sweet spot" on the string for it too...try it in a few different places along the string to find where it is best at for the particular note.

Comment

pinch harmonics

Comment

I'm not an expert by any means, but don't generally have any trouble doing artificial harmonics.

I think it's a combination of...

The pick, type, material, thickness
          Where you pick on the string over PUs
          How hard you push on the string w/fretting hand
          How much you "choke up" on the pick
          The pick edge/angle
          Your pick attack/strength
          The angle at which you pull off the string
          How you graze the string with the picking thumb

A couple of my fave places to do these (and a relatively easy place) is on the 3rd string at the 3rd fret and 5th fret. Both spots tend to be pretty easy to get, I think. When I try out a guitar or amp, this is my typical "test" of how sensitive the guitar/pickups and the amp are to the harmonics.

Keep in mind, then, some guitars and amps/setups will transmit and hold a harmonic better than others. Sometimes, the harmonic could be ringing out, but due to your guitar's pickups or the amp setup, they might just not be transmitting the sound very well. For this reason, I say it's important to practice and try harmonics like this in acoustic-mode, not hooked up at all. With a good, resonant guitar, you should be able to hear some harmonic sound.

For the specific high-pitched squeal sound you're talking about, hmmm...I tend to choke way down on the pick very near the tip, smack the string hard, and very lightly graze the string with my picking thumb. From there, where you pick between the pickups and the angle you pick at will somewhat determine the "pitch squeal" of the harmonic.

Comment

Search function not working, Ian? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I never check this forum Ron so I wouldn't know that there's been a thread aboot this.

Comment

I can do pitched hermonics on my bass...its cool but its way to hard on my low b but when I pull one off on it, it sounds awesome..i can do them easy on my higher strings though [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey man, check this out. It might help you. It has mp3's and videos of how to do and how to make the pinch harmonic "squeal"

http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/...inch/index.php

Comment

When i do PHs on my new fretless neck *thank you again Ken!* i can make them slide! oooooooooooooo! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Very fun! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

add fast wide vibrato while holding the squeal.

Say: dig in 3rd string 3rd fret and hit it with fast wide vibrato and hear it squeal, then cut it off after its sounded.

Watch zakk wylde on ozzy at budokan dvd on 'i dont know' to see what i mean.

Comment

Advanced Pinch Harmonics:
                        Fret the 7th fret of both the 2nd and 3rd strings, then do a PH on both at the same time, and bend them both upwards [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        Trem tricks without the trem! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

To get really good PHs you have to use the very tip of the pick or use a small hard pick like the Dunlop Jazz III. I used to use the regular sized picks but also kept catching my thumbnail on the Low E (OUCH!). My PH improved greatly when I switched to the Jazz IIIs [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Stu .. I used to use Copper picks and do pick squeals so it really has nothing to do with the pick material or thickness of the pick... It's all in being able to touch the string lightly right after it's hit... if you hit a string and then lightly tough a string over certain frets you get the same thing. It's really all in the technique and just takes time ...
                          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

KMaynard,

You're exactly right--it's all in technique, as to whether someone "can" do something like this. My comment about pick type had to do with how easy it may or may not be for someone to get an AH (especially someone learning to do them). I've used various types of picks, too, including the brass cymbal and stainless steel picks. From my experience, it's not necessarily that different materials or pick types make it IMPOSSIBLE to do these AHs, just that I have found it easier to get a good harmonic using some picks types than others. Like Newc, I use the Dunlop Jazz III picks, myself. I find that, for AHs in particular, they have nice rigidity and size, with a tidbit of flex on the tiny tip that seems to all be "perfect" for me, personally. Big, thin picks don't feel substantial enough to me, and I can't get the angle feel that's comfortable for me. And the completely unbending brass or stainless picks forced me to alter the pick angle/attack to get an AH, and were just too rigid to be comfortable for me. As with everything, that's just me and my perception. But, in my opinion, if someone is having trouble doing AHs, they may find that a different pick may make it easier for them; again, especially while learning.

Stu

Comment

it's really a piece of cake, i can get even sicker ones using the knucle of my pinky. some sick stuff comes out.
                              tommy
                              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                              X