Requesting ideas for a Scale/Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting ideas for a Scale/Mode

Hey guys, need some ideas... I'm putting together this song and I'm looking for a dark sounding mode/scale (like something your would hear Danny Elfman use). I've got the Guitar Gilmore book which has 1000's of scales but I'll be dead before I review everyone of them.

thanks,

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Re: Requesting ideas for a Scale/Mode

Well, there are a number of modes that you could use to make a dark sounding song. The first thing that comes to mind when i hear dark sounding is the Locrain arppegio. That's probably the most dark sounding you could get. Other then that, you could use the 3 minors that are in the key that your using. They would be Dorian, Phrygian, and Aeolian. You could also use the Diminished (Locrian) mode to, which is dark sounding, but in more of a jazzy way. What key are you in?

Comment

The diminished (whole-half i think its called as well) also sounds evil and messed up

[ May 26, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Suck my Kiss ]

Comment

For your song, let me help you out on what would work wih the key that yur in. The minor notes that are in that key are: A, B, and E (agian, the minor modes are: Dorian, Phrygian, and Aeolian). The diminished (locrian; The evil dark sounding arppegio) would be on F#.

Comment

The is song in Eminor and thanks for the input. I'll try these out.

joe...
          www.godwentpunk.com
          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

but i guess if you want to use a locrian mode in E, you would use Emin7(b5) as your root, not Em. Or you could play a little flatted 5th powerchord thingie (E/A#) as the root.

Comment

I think he meant doing a F# 7 b5 arpeggio over it. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

When you get it together, post it in MP3 section; I'd love to hear this!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

SMK - you might be right, that sounds like how it was described. the original request seemed to be for a scale that he could play around with, though...

edit: come to think of it, all the clean parts in the last mp3 (ugly song) i posted were all in B locrian! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 29, 2003, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: markpb ]

Comment

Play your song, and try playing EVERY SINGLE NOTE FROM OPEN E TO THE 12TH FRET E AND SEE WHICH NOTES SOUND THE NASTIEST......BUT SHOULD BE SOME KIND OF MINOR SCALE, TRY MELODIC AND HARMONIC MINOR........

Comment

You definitely should check out F Sharp harmonic minor. Basically, you're looking for scales with plenty of sharps in them.
                      cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X