Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

I'm the same way regarding acoustic guitars. I started out on acoustic, so a part of me will always be devoted to it. I just love the way they sound.

The way I see it, you're more versatile if you like stuff all the way from John Mayer to Slayer (they rhyme!). You enjoy everything there is to offer. You could be in many different types of bands and actually enjoy each of them equally. Wh0re yourself out musically to score tons of playing experience.

However, you should maybe look for some acoustic metal too. Iced Earth does quite a lot of acoustic stuff but have always been known as a Metallica-type thrash-riff heavy band. There's not a band that I listen to that doesn't have acoustic guitars in it, with the exception of Lost Horizon and Stratovarius (power metal stuff). Try some Suidakra if you are adventurous. Half their songs are acoustic, and many more have Celtic/folk acoustic passages in them.

Hail acoustics. Nothing like bringing your acoustic guitar to school and attracting all the babes by playing and singing pop-rock ballads. Just last night I developed an acoustic version of Bryan Adams' "Everything I Do".

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Confused

Thank you very much. I was going to try to create an all new style of metal w/ various instruments, but that may be more difficult than I thought. Now that it is summertime and I have plenty of free time, let the experimenting begin. Right now, I have 14 acoustic songs that are good enough to make it(I've been told by many people, and I think I have a slight shot), but they are very personal to me and I don't know whether to go into a studio and create an all acoustic album, keep it to myself, or try the metal out first. When it comes to metal, I have about 10 solid songs. I'm hoping I can somehow mix the two. The ideas and riffs are there, I just need to build a solid foundation. If I ever get around to recording anything, I'll be sure to post it. My acoustic stuff sounds like Alice In Chains' acoustic stuff, but w/ a hint of my own style. Metal wise, picture a mix of Slayer, Megadeth, Alice, and Pantera...maybe a touch of Metallica [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] We'll see what happens, and thank for your feedback!

Comment

Sounds like you are a well rounded player/writer. A great song is a great song regardless of the genre. Look at More than Words by Extreme. Your attitude and the questions you ask are way more common than you think. Just write what you like. If you think it is good than it is good. Stay true is what everybody says. It is often the hardest thing to do. Here; I will open up a little for ya. In my CD player right now are:
      Disturbed: Believer
      Riverdance: The Soundtrack
      Judas Priest: Sad Wings of Destiny
      Yanni: Live at the Acropolis
      America: America's Greatest Hits
      Yngwie Malmsteen: Trilogy
      Also, when I am not fronting my Metallica/Disturbed heavy metal band as lead singer and lead guitar player I like to play my 12 string Rickenbacker and play Beatles tunes.

Comment

Oh yea, I like John Mayer also. I also think that John Frusciante is a great player and this statement is coming from a guy who is a huge fan of Malmsteen and Macalpine.

Comment

Confused

Well, I have never posted in this part of the JCF yet, so here goes my first. I am in a predicament. I just turned 19, and I've been playing guitar for almost 3 years. I started my obsession w/ metal when I was 13, but didn't pick up an axe until 16. Anyways, my favorite was Metallica for years, and then I started branching out into other stuff. I started out as a huge Met wannabe, and basically wanted to be like them. Over the years, I learned to like other bands, and other types of music and develop my OWN taste in gear and such. I've been playing an acoustic guitar for a year now, and I love it more than anything. I got my various metal guitars, a bass, a 7 string, and an acoustic. I'm at the point right now where I am very experimental. My style ranges from Slayer to...John Mayer [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I am moving into a house from an apartment, so now I can see how it is to play loud and test out my gear. I'm looking to start a band in the next few weeks, but I'm having a big problem. I play good rhythm guitar, and sing well, but my lead could always be better. My big problem is in the acoustic area! I'm at a breakthrough point where I am writing good riffs left and right, but most are on my acoustic, and that scares me. I'm soo metal, but then again I have this soft side that just comes out whenever I get an acoustic in my hands. I don't know whether to start a metal band or sing and play acoustic stuff on my own! I apologize for the long post, but I figured a little background woulda helped on this one. I wish I could have the best of both worlds, but I just don't know what to do!! [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X