No announcement yet.

Soloing , what do you do when you solo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloing , what do you do when you solo?

I was wondering what do you guys do when you solo , i like tremlo pick everynote so it sounds fast and i hit every note that im suppose to so it sounds even faster. Some of my friends though hammer on and pull off alot of the notes and it sounds alittle cleaner but no where near as fast.

Re: Soloing , what do you do when you solo?

Hammer ons and pull offs do sound cleaner and a lot smoother...some times. Effects have a lot to do with sounding faster and cleaner,but not in a sloppy way, or to hide miss notes. Alternate picking can sound faster and cleaner if done with control.This is a very (for lack of better word) "interesting" post .....maybe you should be more in depth. It depends on the song too.

[ April 30, 2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Rikrok ]

Comment

I tend to be lazy with my picking hand whenever I do faster licks and tend to hammer-on and pull-off too much... really gotta fix that... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

all of the above, i kinda turn my mind off when i solo so i get either a rude shock or nice surprise when i listen back...sample below...d.m.

http://onlinerock.com/musicians/torq//forsakensolo.mp3
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Very cool!! Vocals are great too!!!

Comment

thanks...that's a lil something i worked up for our 2nd album...email me and i'll send you a link for the whole tune...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I usually get so into the solo that I start drooling everywhere literally, or I will leave my mouth wide open and make high pitched noise unintentionally. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I used to go heavy on the hammer-on/pull-off method for my solos, but I feel that if you can do it right, picking each note sounds more aggressive, and even though it is a little slower sometimes, when you get it right, it just sounds better. Right now I use both in the space of one solo.

[ May 02, 2003, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Ace ]

Comment

The world needs both legato and staccato,
                  and so do I! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Working on picking articulation is very important; you want to be ABLE to pick out any passage if it'll sound better to you that way. Hammer-ons and pull-offs sound great in their own right though, if
                  used musically and not as a crutch. There are riffs that sound great hammered that just sound stupid picked in their entirety, and riffs that should be picked
                  sound weak hammered.

Twisteramps would say they're each colors
                  and using only black and white is boring.
                  I recall that from the old board and it stuck in my mind.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

It really depends on the context of the song and what is going on within it. If it's a long break with the progression unchanging, I take my time, work off the root note and whatever respective interval sounds best and I go for feel. For Rock stuff, I like to lead into a solo with 2-4 ascending sets of triplets into a bend. Like 6 notes quick and a 7th and then phrase from there. I'll use pulloffs or hammers on occasion, I just mix it up. The guy I was working with could be very loose as far as solos. There was no songlist, everything was signaled or called and he could cue you for a solo in a place where you never took a solo before, (or you took a rather extended solo if he liked what you were doing)which was rather odd at times but you had to be thinking ahead for the variety of music he was doing, not to mention alot of eye contact with the him if it was something he was doing on the spur of the moment.
                    So if it was a jam tune like a blues or a Santana type progression, I'll lead into it with a trill and get whatever sound I want oriented for the lead and go. I use dynamics alot as a part of my phrasing, in which a solo could start rather subtle & clean or a mild breakup and then hit one note full force with a higher gain setting. Feedback, whammy, pedaltones, bends they all fill a nitch for effect going in, coming out or during. A solo creates an enhancement to the context of the song, you can be your own mini portrait painter sketching out your ideas within the bigger scene.

[ May 02, 2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

I lean more towards quick hammer/pull phrasings to make it sound less technical and more fluid. IMO, hearing a pick on each note is a distraction. I prefer solos to sound more like violin solos, where you might hear the occasional finger slide or pluck of the pick, but not on every note.
                      Again, it depends on the solo itself, though. Some parts just cannot be done entirely with hammer/pull, and some can't be done with picking every note.
                      Think of the solo to Heartbreaker, where Page bends the string as he's hammering it, then try to imagine the pick hitting each note instead.
                      Now go to Angus's outro to Problem Child where he's nailing the 22nd fret with trills. Imagine that being done strictly with hammer-ons.

All in all it's dependant on the context of the song. Certainly you can't keep the same mood of a song through the whole thing with only using one chord, one vocal tone, or one drum pattern. Why should your solo be different?

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                        Now go to Angus's outro to Problem Child where he's nailing the 22nd fret with trills. Imagine that being done strictly with hammer-ons.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Isn't that what a trill is? Or do you mean strictly with hammer-ons, but no pull-offs? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

A trill is a quickly picked sequence that doesn't really conform to a set note length (32nd notes, 64th notes, etc etc - it can be either or faster).
                          IIRC, that is. In any event, he's picking the sh1t out of the string [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

check out www.lefthandhack.com
                            and download my vid (more lessons from jjw)

will see what i do when i solo,basicaly everything mate

ajust the contrast i recorded that in a cave in afganistan and old beardy behind me wasnt keen to be seen [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                              A trill is a quickly picked sequence that doesn't really conform to a set note length (32nd notes, 64th notes, etc etc - it can be either or faster).
                              IIRC, that is. In any event, he's picking the sh1t out of the string [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually I meant to say a hammer on where I said trill in my post (forget my terminology on occasion) However, a trill doesn't necessarily have to be picked to be produced;

Main Entry: trill
                              Function: noun
                              Etymology: Italian trillo probably of imitative origin
                              Date: 1649
                              1 a : the alternation of two musical tones a diatonic second apart -- called also shake b : VIBRATO c : a rapid reiteration of the same tone especially on a percussion instrument
                              2 : a sound resembling a musical trill : WARBLE
                              3 a : the rapid vibration of one speech organ against another (as of the tip of the tongue against the teethridge) b : a speech sound made by a trill

Comment

Working...
                              X