Strings and gauges...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings and gauges...

Just wondering what brand of strings you use, and in what gauge. I was using the Ernie Ball Power slinky 11-48, but have recently switched to the GHS Bommers Zakk Wylde, 11-70, and like them alot.

Re: Strings and gauges...

9-46 on every guitar i own...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

yep me too.. 9-46.. Blue Steels..

Comment

.09s on everything except for the .010s on my Fusion, which I prefer because of the shorter scale. Usually regular sets, but occasionally Hybrids.

Once upon a time I fussed about brands & which ones last longer, etc., but now that I realise that strings DON'T have to last 6 months between changes, I don't care so much [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        Hail yesterday

Comment

9-42 daddarios...They just dont rust as fast as ernie's or markleys from my sweat.
          Cheers

Comment

9-42 Super Slinkys [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

GHS Boomers or Carvin strings for most guitars...

9-42 on my Fender in standard tuning (sometimes GHS Burnished Nickel).
              9-46 on Hamer in standard.
              10-46 on my Charvel, two Jacksons and two Carvins (standard, Eb, D, Drop D, Drop Db.)
              11-48 (EB Purple Power Slinkies) on one Jackson in D or Drop C.
              9-56 (D'Addario) on Ibanez 7-string but will soon be EB Regular Slinky 10-56.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use D'Addario 9-46.

Comment

why such skinny strings... Light strings always break when I bend lol.

Comment

11 14 18 30 42 52 on everything tunes to E or Eb. I buy the guages in bulk packs from www.juststrings.com.

Comment

last string I broke (and the only one in years and years) was back in January, after I'd owned my new Model 1A for a couple of weeks and I decided it was time to take off the crusty black shop strings. Just for fun, I bent the high E off the top of the neck and toing!! it let go. Otherwise, I figure if you're breaking strings that often, even .09s, then there is some other problem with the guitar. Like burrs at the bridge, saddle or tuner.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah, I haven't really broke strings in years either. When I started playing in the '80s, I started with 10-46... mainly because I saw an ad for GHS Boomers in Circus magazine with Queensryche (Rage For Order days) and figured I'll just try those. I've pretty much stuck with them ever since. A friend of mine played 9s and I didn't really care for them. Then I switched a couple times to 9s and I actually seemed to break them once in awhile because I tend to be heavy-handed. When I got my Fender last year, I just kept the 9-42 on and I've been fine ever since. The Hamer I got from Pete had the hybrid 9-46, so I just decided to stick with them on that guitar for something different.

[ March 21, 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Pretty much just ernie ball 10-46, tuned to standard. I'm going to try 10-52 for 6 string pretty soon here.

Comment

Yeah, I'm heavy handed to I like to bend my G string up to where the low E sits, so I have to have heavy strings.

Comment

I'm using Elixir 11-49 standard tuning.

Cheers,
                              Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X