Yngwie - Trilogy Suite help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yngwie - Trilogy Suite help

Yeah, I play it as two-string sweeps. It can be tricky at first but I find it easier in the long run.

Re: Yngwie - Trilogy Suite help

I've been playing it with 2-string sweeps, but without a hammer-on. Just picked the 3rd note in the triplets with an upstroke. It's been ages since I heared the song, so is it actually played with a hammer-on?

Comment

Originally posted by Ael:
      It's been ages since I heared the song, so is it actually played with a hammer-on?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's hard to tell at that high rate of speed. It sounds like a hammer to me.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by Argos:
        Yeah, I play it as two-string sweeps. It can be tricky at first but I find it easier in the long run.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you play it on the 2nd and 3rd strings or the 1st and 2nd?

I've seen it tabbed both ways, but that high up the neck, I guess it wouldn't matter. The 2nd and 3rd are more comfortable to me.

Comment

I play it on the 2nd and 3rd strings; the
          position is more compact and comfortable,
          and those strings having a slight bit more tension than 1 and 2 seem to make it
          sound a little tighter. It also keeps
          everything in one position which makes sense.

I thought he picked those triplets, but I
          have been hammering the middle notes to
          play it to speed, then I play it slowly to try and do it picking every note. If he IS hammering I'd feel a little better,
          but I'm lazily trying to make myself pick it.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube:

------13--H--17-------13--H--17---
            ----14--------------14------------

How do you guys play it, assuming that you do?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You got it right. It's a two string sweep with a hammer-on like you suggested. High up on the G & H strings to get the "round" or dark sound right. I studied Yngwie way back and he plays it like this.
            And still theres an issue left: do you start with a downstroke or upstroke? I suspect Yngwie to start with an upstroke, because it gives you less picking-hand movement thanks to the re-occuring hammer-on.
            Now, if you take the piece before this piece - how do you play that? Like this? :

G-string
            --0--0--0--10--12--13--0--0--0--7--8--10--etc.

...i hope you do [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I remember having a fight with one of my friends over this. He said it should be:

G-string
            --0--------10--12--13--etc.

What a thing to argue about! - i've grown up since! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

...but i was right.... [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

It has been, and always will be a two string sweep with a hammer on. That's how Yngwie has always done it. I have seen MANY videos of him playing it, and it has always been 2 strings... plus it just sounds like two strings.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
                Now, if you take the piece before this piece - how do you play that? Like this? :

G-string
                --0--0--0--10--12--13--0--0--0--7--8--10--etc.

...i hope you do [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I play it like that. There are three open notes between each run, so you're right.
                [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

...and also from the videos I've seen of him, he uses the E string and the B string, the first 2 strings.

Comment

Yngwie - Trilogy Suite help

Okay, the tab at the OLGA says that the second theme (the triplet section, if you will), is played as 3-string sweeps, like this:

----------12-------12--------13--------13-----
                    -------13--------13--------12--------12-------
                    ----14--------14--------15--------15-------
                    etc....

However, it makes more sense to me, and the films of Yngwie seem to confirm, that it would work better as 2-string sweeps with a hammer-on, like this:

------13--H--17-------13--H--17---
                    ----14--------------14------------

----15--H--19-------15--H--19-----
                    --16---------------16-------------
                    etc....

I've tried it both ways and the second way seems easier because you can keep your index and middle fingers "anchored" while hammering up.

How do you guys play it, assuming that you do?

[ February 20, 2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: PowerTube ]

Comment

Oops! Stuttered on the "enter" key again! Doh!

[ February 21, 2003, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Word:
                        ...and also from the videos I've seen of him, he uses the E string and the B string, the first 2 strings.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is where I first learned that part,
                        but I moved it to the 2nd and 3rd strigs
                        because it was easier for me to play it there, and also because in that position
                        you are better placed to play the little
                        phrygian lick and 6-note diminished arpeggio that tops off that section before you repeat the first part. Playing it where Yngwie does is of course the correct way, but I don't think it hurts to use an alternate position if you're playing the right notes. Of course in the second half of that part the E and B string position IS better, because it positions you to start the series of four ascending 6-note diminished arpeggios ending on A, which takes you back into the G Phrygian lick off the open G string.

Word, you spoke in a truly Catholic way
                        except you left out "is now", and "world
                        without end, Amen!"
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Amen! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

well when my old instructor shaun baxter taught me this,he picked the notes on two string arp shape [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            you could sweep across the 3 string shape but to my ears you would loose dynamics

the same with hammering on with the two string shape.the dynamics are lost.i expect the FURY man hammers this when it is live,just coz its easier to do and you could get away with it

Comment

Working...
                            X