Spanish sounding guitar stuff. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish sounding guitar stuff. HELP!

I really wanna learn how to do this spanish sounding guitar stuff. The best example I can think of right now is Nevermore - Deconstruction off the Dreaming Neon Black album. My friend said it was all flemenco, or some technique like that, not sure. Is there like any sites or something that can help me out? Or any of you?

Re: Spanish sounding guitar stuff. HELP!

The main way to achieve that sound is playing in harmonic minor...and using a classical guitar of course. Also try playing in phrygian.

Comment

would a 12 string acoustic work for classical? lol. I will work with some stuff. It really sounds cool. I have always like spanish guitar stuff. On the Jag Panzer webstie there is a vid of Chris Broderick playing The Downward Fall off their Thade to the Throne album or whatever. that dude is a really good guitarist.

Comment

The video of Chris Broderick playing "The Downward Fall" is also on Chops from Hell.

Playing in harmonic minor is the trick, but don't forget to do bass lines with your thumb as well. Grow out the nails on your right hand for the best tone in finger picking. Nylon acoustic works best.... just doesn't have the same feel on a normal acoustic(or 12 string in your case).

Flamenco is some crazy stuff! If I were you, I'd definatley check out some of John William's spanish stuff. CRAZY! Definatley a totally different beast than normal neo-classical electric guitar.

Comment

Finger picking will be hard for me because I have never tried it before lol. I will see what I can come up with though. I would like to study it if I ever go to GIT.

Comment

There's a song by Grip Inc. Called "Bug Juice" It's really cool, and spanish sounding! It's got a heuuuuge drum solo in it, but lotsa awesome spanish stuff in it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you can download stuff, i suggest you get this ^.^ If you can't get it, i'll post it on my site for you to download. hangon!!

Comment

Also check out the stuff Al Dimeola and Paco de Lucia did together... best Flamenco stuff I've ever heard... and you should see them live [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

This is a nice song: Paco de Lucia and Al DiMeola - Rio Ancho

And on another note... its not all about the harmonic scale.. you can apply major scales, natural minors, melodic minors, blah blah blah... you just need to know some theory, and of course it all depends on the key.

One thing that helped me out in Flamenco was triads. Once you master major/minor/diminished/augmented triads all over the guitar, you can arpeggiate wherever and whenever you want... it sounds beautiful in flamenco and jazz especially. But start off with some slow minor licks to get a good feel going. But like I said, learn triads... makes a world of a difference.

[ February 10, 2003, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Lev ]

Comment

LinaV: I already have the 3 Grip In.c cds. I dont know if they have had more after Solidfy or whatever the last one was lol.

Lev: I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of any theory whats so ever. I have only been playing like a year and a half. I played bass for 3 years beofre but bass and guitar are quite different in some ways. When I started playing guitar I immediately learned all the Iced Earth songs I could. But only rhythm parts really. I had Dante's Inferno down with the cd pretty good for a while but lack of playing I forget most of it. I think I have learned that song like 3 times lol. I have the Metal Method DVDs right now but its mostly in a couple techniques right now. Im like half way thru it. It doesn't get into more theory stuff till like the last 2 levels.

Comment

well look into triads... find some basics on the net somewhere. Metal techniques will help you get the speed down, but playing Flamenco is a lot different.. the improvisation, the scales, and just the way you play in general... the way you approach it just feels a lot different mentally (creatively too). Just start from basic triads and theory, it'll help you put a lot of things together... when you play guitar, what you play will make more sense to you [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

And on another note... its not all about the harmonic scale.. you can apply major scales, natural minors, melodic minors, blah blah blah... you just need to know some theory, and of course it all depends on the key.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lev, I know that. I was just giving him something to start on. Then as he gets more into it he can get into the other stuff.

Comment

yeah i know Word... just wanted to make sure he didn't think there was only one way to play hehe..

Comment

spanish guitar...a subject very near and dear to my heart...lev and word are leading you down the right path, but no one has mentioned the rhythm of spanish guitar...it's not a 4/4 rhythm, more like something you feel...damned hard to explain...dimeola, delucia, and mclaughlin cut an album together and it's just intense...spanish "sounding" guitar can be accomplished on steel or nylon strings...see mp3 for example, it's my own little experiment with it...anyway the backing rhythm is also very important when playing this style...true spanish guitar and flamenco both use extremely developed fingerstyle techniques that take years to master...and i'm nowhere near...hope the mp3 helps steer you in the direction of spanish "sounding" guitar tho...good luck...d.m.

http://onlinerock.com/musicians/torq//spanish.mp3
                        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Damn its been awhile since i have even thought of theory, but isnt harmonic minor just like a #7th.

Damn I feel stupid asking, but like C harmonic minor would be like C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, B, C.

Let me think, yeah its just a sharp 7th of a regular minor scale.

Comment

Working...
                          X