Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little finger training

i'm currently training my little finger [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    im getting a bit sick of 1234 and Etude...so....you guys got any tabs?
    i especially got some problems with my 3rd and 4th(little) finger doing stuff seperately

Re: Little finger training

Look for Eric Johnson tabs. He uses the pinky on his fingering hand more strongly than most guitarists--for example, he executes a lot of slides and legato stuff with his pinky, where most guys will use their ring finger.

EJ definitely influenced me to rely more on the pinky--I do a lot of slides with it now, myself. But I was also lucky to have a teacher who emphasized using all four fingers to work through my scales and such--so I've always used the pinky.

It may take awhile to build up the strength in the pinky to match your other fingers, but it can be done. Also, look for exercises to make you stretch beyond a four-fret reach. Those will *really* make your pinky stronger--be careful not to over do it on the stretches, however.

Comment

Really the best thing to do is just use it. Do you practice scales at all? If you don't then you should...most scale patterns use the pinky. The more you use it...the more comfortable you get...the better you get [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

When I started out, I would refuse to use my pinky unless I was practicing some scales. It just didn't feel right. Then, I started playing a bit of Iron Maiden, and I was "forced" to start optimizing my playing ability by utilizing the pinky. Worked like a charm!

Comment

This is an easy one, but take it slow.
          Play with just your 3rd and 4th finger a 1/2 step apart up and down the frets across the b and e strings. Do not put your 1st and 2nd fingers on the neck just the 3rd and 4th go slow at 1st and within a week or two you will see a big jump in your technique.
          www.kiddhavok.com
          www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Try the opening part of "Spirit of Radio" by Rush. It's a decent pinky workout.
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Skidd, elaborate please?

Comment

Skidd do you mean the 1234 exercise with just the 3rd and 4th finger?

thanks for all the replies [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm sorry I'm not sure how to post this, but here it goes.Start 3rd finger 1st fret b string,4th finger 3rd fret b string,3rd finger 1st fret high e string 4th finger 3rd fret high e string. Repeat that pattern moving up the neck in 1/2 step interval (1 fret). You can do this in any grouping of 2 fingers, also you can take your 1st finger 5fret and your 4th finger on the 10th fret and play that pattern across the strings from low e to high e. I can write out on paper and scan it if anyones wants to host it. Just email me. I just not sure how to do tab on the web board yet.
                  www.kiddhavok.com
                  www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Working...
                  X