How to know if youre good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to know if youre good...

I know this is sort of a generic question. I wanna see if I'm any good at all, I dont think I am, but maybe thats because I'm not a conceited little ***** [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img]

I've been playing for 2 1/2 years and heres what I can play cleanly(weeded out the extremly easy stuff) and throughout:

Metallica -
    ...And Justice for All
    Creeping Death
    Master of Puppets
    Fade to Black
    One

Dream Theater -
    Take the Time
    Yste Jam

Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train

Van Halen - Hot for Teacher

Symphony X - Sea of Lies(including wild tapping part)

I think thats it, I probably know some more but I just dont know to list them. Tell me what you think. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ December 17, 2002, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: WannaDXMG ]

Re: How to know if youre good...

It sounds like you are doing better than I did when I was at 2 and 1/2 years. Have you tried any solos/lead guitar work yet?

Comment

Yeah, I can play those songs all the way through, and I can improvise halfway decent. I know a few modes as well, and some theory.

Comment

Yeah dude, you're doing damn good then. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

i realised i was reasonably good when i learned how to do 6 string sweeps a few weeks ago...i guess its cause throughout my guitar playing years (3 years) all i played was metallica, and solos...then i moved onto satriani, and i dunno, somehow the seeds were there, and one day the sweeps just sprung out, i was surprised and happy...hopefully i wont turn into a technique heavy guitarist
          cheers

Comment

If you can express yourself through your guitar, you're good. To worry about it past that is pretty much pointless... there's always going to be someone else with more/better chops, so why worry about it?

Pete

Comment

[img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

She gives you your money back. ][:o)#
                We must!
                We must!
                We must increase the bust!
                The bigger the better!
                The tighter the sweater!
                The boys are counting on us!

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Your good when you play songs you wrote, and people enjoy them.

It's as simple as that. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

you pretty much nailed it there...spot on
                      cheers

Comment

There are a lot of session guitarists who don't write (or aren't signed, where you could hear their writing) - so they suck? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I do not consider myself good, but I am enjoying myself and keep trying to improve.

DRH

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodder:
                            Your good when you play songs you wrote, and people enjoy them.

It's as simple as that. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i agree with hotrodder, if youre a guitar player and you write stuff that touches people emotionally and they want to be able to play your songs then you can consider yourself as a good guitar player [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 19, 2002, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Shakeel ]

Comment

Originally posted by OklaStrat:
                              There are a lot of session guitarists who don't write (or aren't signed, where you could hear their writing) - so they suck? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know folks who can play just about anything they hear. But they can't write anything on their own... They suck. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BTW I suck [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ December 19, 2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Hotrodder ]

Comment

Working...
                              X