Picks, revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picks, revisited

After reading the original picks thread, i was a bit curious to see if going to a 'sharper' pick would improve my playing.

I used to use .73 and .88 Dunlop Tortex ones (not sharp)

Yesterday, I went to my music store, and bought several red Jazz 3s, and Green Tortex M3s.

At first, i was a bit sceptical and thought it really wouldnt help. BOY was I wrong.

All of a sudden, fast runs which were muddy no matter what i did cleaned up, and my alternate picking clarity increased twofold. Also, my speed picking stamina increased, since less motion = less soreness.

I just tried doing the same exercises on my old picks, and once again, I just couldnt do it.

Thanks for making me a believer!!

...who woulda thought a 30 cent pick would make me sound better? now if only there was a magic solution to sweeping...

~eric

Re: Picks, revisited

there is....practice... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

yeah, the faster runs were muddy because the the picks you used before were blunt, therefore the actual surface area which makes contact with the string was larger, so you were touching the other string(s) next to the one you were picking...when you get a sharp pick, this changes, sharp picks did wonders for me (jazz iii) in the short term, but i absolutely despise them now, they just feel kinda too hard and rough , i cant explain it,you might experience the same thing

Comment

i like it hard and rough [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

after playing for a few more days, i have some more thoughts...

red jazz iii's... these things slip off worse than a college freshman girl's pants at a frat party! I cant keep it in a set position for more than a few minutes. Ive been told that the black ones grip better, so i'll try those eventually.

2nd.. It seems it sounds a lot 'brighter', when i pick slowly, or strum.

3rd.. Less picking area on the pick = gotta be more careful about hand movement. I guess I was a little lazy o my old picks, since Im missing strings every once in a while now.

overall, Im liking these, but i'll get a better opinion as time goes on.

thanks again for your input.

~E

Comment

try the green dunlop tortex sharpies...you might like 'em, they're all i use...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

yeah for the slippage thing, try out the purple tortex jazz picks, i dunno the model name, but they are exactly like the jazziii, but with better grip..i used those instead of the jazziii

Comment

I use the purple tortex jazz picks too. They're the best I've ever used. Dunlop 3mm stubbies and 2mm big stubbies are pretty cool too.

Comment

Just take an abrasive (steel wool, sandpaper) and 'rough' the finish off the pick where you hold it. That should help you hang on to those slippery ones....
                  750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                  Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Just use Gator Grips, dammit. Pre-scuffed.

Comment

Gator Grip purples for me (.96) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

After reading the previous thread, I tried out the Dunlop 3mm stubby--and totally converted! I experienced an increase in picking accuracy just like Eric. You do have to be a bit more precise in your movements, though, since there is less pick sticking out below your fingers.

I still use the regular Dunlop tortex 1.14mm pick for certain things, particular chordal work, but those 3mm stubbies are too f-in cool!

Comment

Purple Tortex Dunlop H3 sharpies...

Good enough for Micheal Romeo, good enough for me!

Comment

fender medium classic celluloid. hehhehheh. its not the picks its you! i know a lot of people that will just take any pick and turn it over and use one of the rounded corners. whatever, just practice with the same thing and you'll get better at it. there is no quick fix or magical pic, just what you are comfortable with and what your ability is. so practice.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I use Dunlop 1.5mm for regular playing and when I'm working out my chops I use Jazz 3. Personally I love the thicker picks, those Stubby's are awsome.

Oh and I normally scratch an X on the pick so it doesnt slip.
                              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                              X