2 string arpeggios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 string arpeggios?

I'm lookin for some help playing 2 string arpeggios. You know the ones, they're used all the time, Rising Force, Sultans of Swing, i think Randy Rhodes uses them a lot...

E----15p12-----
    B-----------12

and the tons of other variations of that.
    When something like that is repeated over and over, is it best to inside pick or outside pick?

Re: 2 string arpeggios?

Called 'rakes' and I covered them in pretty good detail on some sweep threads in this section.

Pete

Comment

With the lick you cited, i would pick with an upstroke on the E string, pull-off, and downstroke the B string. Or sometimes I do two downstrokes.

Thats just donny style.

If u wanna practice those, the end of the solo to metallica's 'ride the lightning' is all two string arpeggio's. Thats how i learned em! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

John Petrucci once told me to outside pic of course that was in a written lesson and not to me personally
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

When you guys do a rake like the example above, do you bar your index finger on the 12th fret?

If I am not supposed to, how am I supposed to have the speed to go from the 12th fret on the E string to the 12th fret on the B string without lifting my finger off too much, making the E string ring out when I lift off?

Comment

[ December 26, 2002, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Bababueee ]

Comment

With a rake like the above, I would bar the 12'th fret, however deaden the strings not being played. So you can fret the 12'th fret E and deaden the 12'th fret B with one finger. Then roll your finger from the E to B string thus doing the opposite (deadening then 12'th fret E).

If that made any sense [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes, that made perfect sense, thanks! And that's the way I've been playing it... and it just feels "cheap", like "cheating", and feels entirely "wrong" and a "lazy" way of playing it. But, I guess it's okay then... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X