• Five-string sweeping

----------------7--12--
    -------------8---------
    --------4/9------------
    -----5-----------------
    --7--------------------
    -----------------------

--E--G--B-E--G--B--E--

My guitar teacher gave me this sweep exercise a long time ago as my first sweeping exercise ever, and I thought I might post it here for some feedback and comments. Remember that Pete said that a big problem with learning the technique is that people start with 5 and 6 string sweeps, so maybe this little exercise would better apply to you virtuosos out there? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It's basically a five-string arpeggiated Em... I think... I'm not too strong when it comes to theory.

I'm not an expert. In fact, I can't even play this lick very fast. However, I will give you the tips that my guitar teacher gave me back then, and hopefully you guys will actually master this sweep and record it for me to prove that it's not totally impossible!

Okay, so you're starting on the A string, sweep the first three notes.

Hammer-on your ring finger after picking the B and slide up to the ninth fret using your ring finger. Doing this will put your fingers in the position for the next half of the sweep.

Continue sweeping the G and B notes.

For the final 12th fret E on the E string, you'll have to pick upwards, stretching to it with your pinky finger while your index finger remains on the B.

And then try this pattern descending, starting with picking the high E downwards and then doing an upwards sweep towards the bass strings.

I've only been playing for two years, and I'm nowhere near being an authority on something as fancy as sweeping, but any comments or criticisms would be fantastic. Maybe some of you would have found this topic useful, hopefully!

[ December 07, 2002, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Number Of The Priest ]

Re: Five-string sweeping

For actual song examples, I think Marty Friedman actually uses this shape a lot. It's used in the ending sweeps of Cacophony's "Images"(with different notes, but the same shape.).

Comment

Working...
    X