Picking hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking hand

How many of you rest your fingers on the top of your guitar while you play? I usually lightly rest my right pinky on the body when I play on the higher strings. Tell me what you guys think about touching/not touching the body while playing. Thanks.

[ December 06, 2002, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: SwedishMaelstrom ]

Re: Picking hand

i don't...but i know people who do...it all comes down to what's comforatable to you....if it sounds good....do it...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

yeah, i do actually, but i dont rest it, i use it when im picking frantically...the side of my pinky on my picking hand is all dried up and ****, it was pretty badly cut up, the thing that cut it up is the friggin screw on the pickup ring, the one that is used to lift or lower the pickup...satriani rests his pinky

Comment

Michael Angelo rests 3 fingers on the guitar while he picks...agh...gives me carpal tunnel syndrome by just watching him. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't worry what other people do or how they do it...do what works for you in the most efficient manner.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

depends what I'm playing, for things where you pick a lot of different notes (intro to call of Ktulu by metalica) I rest my pinky and ring finger as I play. But if I say play Raining blood by Slayer then the pinky and ring come off and are nowhere near the top of the guitar. I just play it how it feels comfortable.

Gareth [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree with Alexi7 (side of my pinky resting on pickup ring), and when playing warp speed, I use the Michael Angelo three finger position. It really does let you play faster, for sure! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I mostly lean on the bridge (if fixed) or pinky (no matter what string I play)

Comment

I rest my pinky on the guitar on occasion, no particular reason. I also have this odd habit of resting my pinky against the high E string. I'm not sure why or how it started, lol.

Comment

I use my pinky as a kind of anchor on the high E string n stuff. ^.^ workz good enough for me. I donno why i do it. I just kinda started doing it when i was trying to get used to my Floyd

Comment

The only thing I dont like about resting my pinky is that it dulls the paint where you do it from touching. I usually wash my hands before I play so its not dirt or anything rubbing at the paint, just skin...does this happen to you guys also?

[ December 11, 2002, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: SwedishMaelstrom ]

Comment

When I'm playing solos, I've watched my right hand and noticed that I rest my ring finger on the guitar under the high E string while playing on the E,A, & D strings. And then when I move to the G,B and high E strings, my fingers automatically switch from ring to pinky resting on the guitar. So if I'm doing say, double triplets in a chromatic fashion going from the low E to the high E, my fingers switch instantly at some point during the riff. It looks really cool, but when I slow it down, I can't make myself do it to see how it's done. Does that make sense? Probably not. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                          Dana <~~~

[ December 11, 2002, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: guitarforceone ]
                          '85 Rhoads Custom
                          '86 SD Str*t
                          '86 Model 4 (5)
                          '87 Model 1
                          '87 Model 6
                          '88 Model 3DR
                          '90 650 XL
                          '94 KE-3
                          '97 DR Amberburst
                          '97 Dinky BOFlames
                          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

omg that totally creepz me out when i do stuff involentarily, but i can normally control lol. Ever looked at ur thumb on your fretting hand? omg that like totally freaked me out lol.

Andrea

Comment

Well, it doesn't really freak me out when my fingers do that automatically, but it is interesting to watch. It's frustrating to slow it down so you can really see what's happening, and then your fingers won't do it. I guess they get stage fright or something. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              Dana <~~~
                              '85 Rhoads Custom
                              '86 SD Str*t
                              '86 Model 4 (5)
                              '87 Model 1
                              '87 Model 6
                              '88 Model 3DR
                              '90 650 XL
                              '94 KE-3
                              '97 DR Amberburst
                              '97 Dinky BOFlames
                              '05 SD Copperhead