Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locking Tuners - Direct Replacement for J/C Gotohs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Tuners - Direct Replacement for J/C Gotohs?

Does anyone know if Gotoh - or any other firm - makes a direct drop-in locking tuner replacement for the standard Gotohs on USA Select Jacksons?

I'm thinking of possibly swapping out the hardware on a string-through J/C. In the process, I'd like to replace the standard Gotohs with locking tuners. But I'd only consider it if this can be done without drilling any additional holes.

Re: Locking Tuners - Direct Replacement for J/C Gotohs?

The Gotoh locking tuners are a direct replacement for the Jackson tuners except for the fact that they only come with the oval shaped knobs. The factory Jackson tuners were Gotohs with the Schaller style knob. All you have to do is put your knobs on the Gotohs and you're all set. If Gotoh offers their locking tuners with the Schaller style knobs I'm not aware of it.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ah bummer. Hardware swap = thinking of changing the color, so the old knobs won't work here. Oh well. Thanks for the info. anyway.

Comment

Yeah I know how ya feel.....plus the Schallers have a different screw hole placement so you really can't use them. It is a bummer for sure. Hey, if money isn't a problem you could always buy a set of both and you'd be in there!

Comment

gotoh with a schaller knob like these?
          http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G...ob_Tuners.html

or these

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G...ob_Tuners.html
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

The first ones are 3 per side and have the large knob. The second ones are 6 in line and have the small knob. Either way those aren't locking tuners so what the fuck does it matter???? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

well fuck me for offering up a suggestion! fuckin people. did you even think about making a fucking phone call and asking for a sample knob to test fit on machine heads that will suit your purposes. probably fucking not. companies give out samples of their shit all the time. oh well what the fuck do i know.
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Somebody needs a

you [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What Ron said!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Hey buzzsaw, didn't you notice the little laughing smiley??? It's those imoticons that make everything ok. Sorry if you've had a bad day. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

shreddermon, I can't tell you where to buy the locking tuners in the US (I'm in Germany), but I can tell you which part you exactly need.

You need Gotoh "SG381-07 L MG"
                    It's a direct replacement for Gotoh "SG381-07 L" which are the standard Jackson tuners. The only difference is the Jackson logo. Every parts-dealer should be able to get them for you.

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Thanks again.

Comment

So, just to clarify, are all Gotoh SG38 Tuners locking tuners? I've been looking at the ones at the Warmoth site to replace the non-locking Jackson ones, but I'll only consider it if I can swap the oval knobs for the rectangle ones I already have.

Here's a link to the ones at Warmoth. On the menu on the right, click the "Tuning machines", and it's the second grouping. On that page they list the Schaller tuners as being locking tuners but don't mention the SG38 as being locking [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] .
                        http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/hardware.htm
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

SG38 or SG381 (never noticed any difference) are usually not locking-tuners. Gotoh locking tuners have the addition "MG".

Gotoh tuners with the addition "HAPM" are locking tuners too, but these ones also height-adjustable (in case the headstock is not tilted and without string-retainer)

The tuning machines from Warmoth are the non-locking version. The tuners from Stewmac in the links above are also non-locking.

once more the Gotoh parts numbers:
                          "SG381-07 L" are the standard Jackson tuners
                          "SG381-07 L MG" are the same tuners, but locking
                          the only difference is, that they have the Gotoh logo on the back, instead of the Jackson logo.

[ March 01, 2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: busdriver ]

Comment

Wow. Thanks busdriver!

Is the "L" for left-handed, though? Or does it stand for something else? They're going on a right-handed guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                              Hey buzzsaw, didn't you notice the little laughing smiley??? It's those imoticons that make everything ok. Sorry if you've had a bad day. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He's just upset because he's now like 400 pounds and the velcro on his shoes stopped working and he doesn't know how to tie regular laces! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X