Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pictures of recessed floyd vs non-recessed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pictures of recessed floyd vs non-recessed?

can someone post some pictures? i don't really understand the difference between the two. are they both floating?

Re: pictures of recessed floyd vs non-recessed?

Most guitars with Floyds today are recessed into a little cavity for being able to pull back on the bar more, and they have a straighter neck. Non-recessed Floyds don't have the cavity and have a greater tilt back on the neck, and they can be set to rest on the body like EVH does, or they can be a little off the body so you can pull back a little bit.
    Here's non-recessed on my Charvel Model 5A.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here's one that's recessed.

Comment

thanks for the clarification toejam. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] is that non-recessed charvel set up to only go down like EVH's?

Comment

Originally posted by chemical_ali:
          thanks for the clarification toejam. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] is that non-recessed charvel set up to only go down like EVH's?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No. Depending on the height of the trem away from the body, it will pull back a certain amount. Unfortunately with non-recessed trems, if you pull back too enthusiastically, you can ding up the finsh behind the trem.

There were also some guitars made with a semi-recessed trem. The trem post area was not recessed, so the trem sat at the same height as a non-recessed trem, but there was a route at the back half of the trem to allow more room to pull back on the trem.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by chemical_ali:
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're welcome. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And, no, it's floating about 1/4" off the body.

Comment

Zeeg is right, there is the "semi-recessed" version. Here's a pic of a 3DR with one: (note that the trem is still mounted above the body, but there is a recess for pull-backs)

My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
              X