EMG pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG pots

I know that EMG's use different pots (are they 1M pots ?). So I have a model 3 that currently has an EMG-81 with stock Jackon single coils and EMG pots (dont ask). If drop a Duncan in place of the EMG without changing the pots, what affect will the EMG pots have on my tone as opposed to normal (250K ?) pots ?

Re: EMG pots

250k pots are for single coils

500k pots are for humbuckers

25k pots are for EMG's

and i've never heard of 1M pots before

dirt pot is for kids and gangsters

and kind pot is for me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

EMGs are low-impedence and use a 25K pot, as opposed to the 250/500/1M pots for high-impedence pickups. If you use a high-resistance pot on an EMG, you'll lose a lot of volume control: it'll be off if the pot is turned down and all the way up if the pot it turned partially up. If you use low-resistance pots on a high-impedence pickup, you won't get much volume out of it at all.

If you're going to put a Duncan in there, your best bet it to swap out the pots. They're usually pretty cheap (~$5)

Comment

Why don't you go for all active or all passive setup? I know, some people prefer the bite of an EMG, but like the warmth of a passive, too. Maybe try an EMG single coil, or find a swap for that EMG 81. I think it would look nicer if you had either two EMGs or two passives. Whatever you do, just make sure that the pots have correct values for the pickups you choose. The best solution for passive/active combo would be two separate volumes, that way you would get all the juices from pups.

Comment

Yeh, I know you cant really combine active and passives with good results. The story behind it is that this was one of my first guitars 16 years ago. At the time I wasnt aware you couldnt really mix active and passives, and the place that installed it didnt inform me (guess they were more worried about the sale). Since I aquired several other (better) guitars since that time, I never really bothered putting the single coil EMG's in there. Nowadays, I am leaning back toward passive p/u's, therefore was wondering the what passive p/u would sound like with the EMG pots (read " I am too lazy to swap the pots").

Comment

Working...
          X