dried neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dried neck?

hi, I have a model 6 that I bought used, it is an 87' I beleive because of the trem and such, and the only reason I say is because the neck seems to be dried and i wanted to know whether that was age showing through, or maybe if it is something else, my neck when I originaly got it was (still is) dry looking, with no luster or anything to it, what can I use to refresh/restore the neck? thanks a lot for any suggestions

Re: dried neck?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Dry looking"

Do you mean the Fretboard? or the Paint?

The Fretboard which is rosewood should feel mostly dry, you shouldn't get a "wet" feeling from it. If Rosewood is old enough and dry enough.. it is possible it can crack.

Just get some Lemon oil cleaner/conditioner (ask at your local guitar store, or find it a home depot ect..

Follow the directions and maybe let it soak in for 30 minutes or so, wipe dry..

You should only have to do it once or twice a year.

If your paint looks dry as in dull.. get some rubbing compound and start rubbing and buffing with a soft, clean cotton cloth.. you can also use a buffer, but be carefull you don't "burn" through the paint, although it's hard to do with the Polyurethane found on the Model series.

Follow up with some quality swirl-remover and polish like mothers or Meguires.

Your paint should shine and look "wet"

Hope this helped.

Comment

sorry for not clarifying, its the fretboard wood, and I have already tried lemon oil and it did not noticeably change the overall appearance, any other suggestions?

Comment

Dunlop makes a fretboard conditioner,it works great.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by desmauler:
          sorry for not clarifying, its the fretboard wood, and I have already tried lemon oil and it did not noticeably change the overall appearance, any other suggestions?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whats wrong with the appearance.

I have a Model 6 as well.. the rosewood shoudn't look or feel "wet".

If your fretboard isn't cracked, and has been properly cleaned and conditioned with lemon oil, or boiled linseed oil ect.. Then you don't really have to worry about it.

Is it too light for you? Try some indian ink to darken it.

I'm not quite sure what you are complaining about.

Comment

he's just sayin that the wood looks dry...kinda like dry skin, y'know?

the dunlop stuff works nicely, as does lemon oil, as does linseed oil.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

yeah, what sully said, well guys thank you very much, I am gonna stop over by GC soon and pick up some of that dunlop conditioner, hopefully it works, thanks

Comment

Working...
              X