HIgh E string, low volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIgh E string, low volume

On my soloist, the high E string seems to have much lower volume. I have just installed a new lace sensor RED single coil in the bridge. the high E just sounds thinner and quiter than the B or G etc. for example, if i play the open string, the E will sustain for 7 seconds, and the B and G for 11-12. Is this just because of the thinner E string?
    gauges:

thanks for any help
    john

Re: HIgh E string, low volume

Yes. That is the inherent problem with Lace Sensors. You have no way to control individual pole height. Raise the pickup a little on the treble side or lower the bass side to compensate. Your problem is precisely why I stopped using Lace Sensors. Especially in the bridge position.

Comment

damn, i was worried it might be an inherent problem, i checked everything else. I'm pretty much set on keeping the lace sensor, i like how it sounds. Could I compensate for the difference by using a thicked E string. say 11, or even 12?
      cheers
      john

Comment

Increasing the gauge will help a little. Lowering the bass side of the pickup is a better choice. Also, maybe adding a no load volume pot or even a mid boost might help.

Comment

right okay. I'll try it and see what happens, probably get an 11 gauge E string. how could no load pots help?

Comment

The reason I mentioned no load pots and maybe a mid boost is because most of the Fender strats that have Lace Sensors come with what Fender calls TBX circuitry which is actually a no load tone pot. Lots of people think it is a boost but it isn't. It seems to work well with Lace Sensors though. Adjusting the pickup will probably do it for you. If I recall, it is critical to have Lace Sensors a certain distance from the strings in order to work properly. Midi-hex pickups are the same way. Jim Shine probably knows what the exact distance should be. I don't remember that one.

Comment

Working...
            X