Tuning to B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning to B

Planning on tuning one of my guitars to B and my first thought was to just buy 7 string sets and use the lowest 6 so I investigated to find out what the actual standard 7 string gauges are. Well it looks like a super light set goes 9-54 so I checked the high B string and it's an 11. In theory, shouldn't the low B just be a 49 like in a set of 11 gauge strings? Why does it change like that? I know 11's aren't tight enough in B ( at least for me they seem floppy as hell) and it doesn't look like D'Addario, at least, makes 12's or 13's (could be wrong, often am, lol). So what do you guys think, stick with the 9-54 and ditch the 9 or try and find 13's or something?

Re: Tuning to B

Im using Ernie Ball custom gauge (.10-.52). I tune 2 steps down (C) and the drop (Bb) So basically me guitar is on those two tunings. What I do is that when I put the string I just stretch them enough to go to those tunings, or else they start flippin' out. This works great for me. Now I ordered a Dimebucker to see if I get MORE gain. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

D'Addario does make .12s and .13s.

These are the .12s:

http://www.daddariostrings.com/viewf...?alt=100002614

These are the .13s:

http://www.daddariostrings.com/viewf...?alt=100002615

Comment

The next step up from the 9s in a 7-string set are 10-56, which is like a standard set of 10s with just a 56 for the low B (10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46, 56). A few companies make sets like that... DR and D'Addario and Ernie Ball are what I can think of offhand. I use the Ernie Ball Super Slinky 7 set (yellow package, 10-56) on my Ibanez. 56 is fine for the B. I use EB purple Power Slinkies 11-48 on one of my Jacksons that's tuned to D, and that's fine. But for the 7-string I'm tuned standard or a half step flat and the 10-56 works just fine for me.

I believe the Jackson DK27 Baritone uses 13, 17, 26, 36, 46, 56 also. Not sure what brand they're using, though.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Last time I asked, I got the response that all Jacksons come from the factory equipped with D'Addario strings in the appropriate gauges. I'll be swapping those 13s for 12s and tuning up to C on my DK27... can't wait to get that guitar!

Comment

13-60 is my favorite for B.

(not that info is useful at all... )

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
              Last time I asked, I got the response that all Jacksons come from the factory equipped with D'Addario strings in the appropriate gauges. I'll be swapping those 13s for 12s and tuning up to C on my DK27... can't wait to get that guitar!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought they were D'Addarios but wasn't totally sure. Can't wait to hear a review of that guitar when you get it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Damn. I've never played lower than drop d.
                I get scared. I get lost...I have no understanding of the musical theory, I don't know where notes and chords go after d..even then, I have some trouble..heh.

Comment

There's on jazz player that I know and he's tuned down on B on one guitar and he's using some Dean Markley (not sure whether they're blue steel or not) that are 15-76 gauges.
                  He says that even though the gauge is big the strings play softly.

I asked the local music store (the guy that works there is my good friend) and he said to me that this gauge is also possible but it is kind of bad seller.

Try seeking for those DM's.

I have D on 11-52 (Blue Steel Med) and it's still kind of soft for me. Maybe I should be trying 12-58 BS's.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've been eyeballing the DK27 as a future used guitar purchase (like I'll have money anyways [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). Let me know what you think when you get it !

Comment

Originally posted by kremit:
                      Let me know what you think when you get it !
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And let us know about your SLSMG! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I want that one too, but I might put a Floyd on it or something. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X