Dunlop can't work on Maple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop can't work on Maple?

Why do the Dunlop cleaners always say not for Maple fretboards?

Cheers,
    Nick

Re: Dunlop can\'t work on Maple?

got me.... i never understood that either.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think I've read somewhere, that maple is different from ebony or rosewood (I don't remember in what way) and that's the reason. I'll try to find it somewhere. I think it's connected with the fact that it doesn't need to be oiled either.

Comment

Obviously, the Dunlop cleaner has an ingredient that is not maple-friendly [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I would guess that they are assuming most maple boards are laquer clear coated and some cleaners will etch laquer.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I've always been told to and have wiped maple clearcoat necks clean with windex... and polished them like the rest of the body...

They don't need to have any oils or dirt lifted out of the pores of the wood like Ebony or Rosewood. So, no reason to treat them really ehh?

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
              They don't need to have any oils or dirt lifted out of the pores of the wood like Ebony or Rosewood. So, no reason to treat them really ehh?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yep, just treat them like the rest of the body since they're laquered.

Comment

Just use regular guitar polish for maple boards. The Dunlop polish is fine for it, just not the conditioner or fretboard cleaner. Lemon oil is fine to clean maple, too.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Why is maple laquered but not ebony or rosewood?

Cheers,
                  Nick

And thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Comment

They put laquer on maple to seal it so it will stay clean looking. Unfinished maple shows all the grime! I kinda like the patina of a nasty unfinished maple board though.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I always thought it was becuase it had a darker tint to it , so the boards would look darker. I just use lemon oil on my raw maple necks.
                      www.kiddhavok.com
                      www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

If you look at a standard maple fretboard, like on a strat, it is clearcoated just like the body of the guitar, so the lemon oil won't really do anything to it, except make it...well...oily. If it is a bare maple board, the oil will just act like a glue to attract dirt and grime, giving the board that gray/bown "patina" which will soak intot he wood and stain it. with rosewood and ebony, they are already dark brown, so you son't have to worry about this problem, and since they are not finished, they just soak up the oil and stay nice and moist.

Comment

Working...
                        X