Acoustic/Electric string difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic/Electric string difference?

Hey, I was given a set of D'Addario bronze acoustic guitar strings for Christmas, and seeing as I don't have an acoustic, only my Soloist, I became curious, as to the actual differences between steel electric strings, and steel acoustic strings. Do any of you know?

Cheers,
    Nick

Re: Acoustic/Electric string difference?

Kamo put heavy .13 acoustic strings on his electric before. He used five trem springs to balance the insane tension the thick acoustic strings gave on his neck and tweaked his trussrod accordingly, I guess. I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Acoustic strings commonly come in thicker gauges... "light" acoustic strings are considered to be .12s but "light" electric strings are considered to be .10s. Everybody's got their opinion of "light", but I'm just using D'Addario's description.

The wound acoustic strings commonly come as 80/20 bronze or phosphor bronze. Phosphor bronze generally stays brighter for a longer period of time. 80/20 bronze really gives a killer punch to the tone, but they seem to corrode faster and can lose their "new" sound within hours or a few days. The plain strings are the same as electric strings for D'Addario.

I'd maybe go to the guitar shop those acoustic strings were purchased from and see if they'll do an exchange for a pack of the electric strings you usually buy. Bring your sales receipt if the gift-giver still has it.

Comment

Using acoustic guitar strings on an electric guitar will not harm anything, except your tone! There is no steel in them for the pickup to have a magnetic reaction with. You're just wasting your time.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Seymour Duncan has a magnetic acoustic guitar pickup:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...escr.shtml#mag

Comment

Actually, the core of the wound strings is steel, so you would get some sound. THe idea with electric guitar strings is that the core and the wrap work together to deliver the sound. With acustic strings it it is only the core that will be picked up by the pickup I think. I don't know if that would be enough to deliver a decent sound.

Comment

I put acoustic strings on my old Peavey Patriot one time, and they sounded really bright and tinny, if that is descriptive enough. They won't hurt anything, just sound bad. you could probably get soem good "electric banjo" type sounds out of it if you wanted too, but I'm guessing you are not a bluegrass player...

Comment

Working...
            X