Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Wood

Guys,

i know there're many web-sites out there explaining how different wood affects the guitar tone. But none of them seens complete.

Therefore, would really appreciate if any of you wood experts be so kind to give a complete explaination on all the available wood in the "market". For fretboard, body, and neck.

Thanx
    Cham

Re: Tone Wood

maple, mohogony, korina, rosewood, and ebony. (lastly alder - i wouldn't choose alder but it is considered a top quality tone wood)

thats all the wood types that i would consider if building a custom guitar.

read warmoth.com's woods descriptions for details.

necks i would stick within these combos:
    maple fb/maple neck, rosewood fb/maple neck, ebony fb/mohagony neck, ebony fb/korina neck, rosewood fb/mohagony neck or, rosewood rb/korina neck.

bodies i would use any combo or single use of maple, alder, mohagony, or korina. (les pauls are usually mohagony body with a maple cap, with a mohagony neck with either a rosewood or ebony fretboard.)

i do like alder and some basswood bodies but i wouldn't choose it for a custom guitar.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Swamp ash kicks @ss! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Swamp ash kicks ash, eh?

Well... okay. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Ponderosa Pine RULES!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Poplar... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Fur..... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Les Pauls cysomts have a Maple neck with ebony board and the Les PaulStd has a mohagony neck with rosewood.
                Also there are other woods used for guitars that are not as favorable by most here but have been used by high end guitar makers.
                Koa,basswood,poplar,Alder which is what Fender uses on everything Mexican on up with the exception of Ash and Swamp Ash. PRS uses Swamp Ash also. Mohagony, maple, Korina, Ebony, Agathis, Nato, Spruce, SYcamore, Cedar, And Ive even heard of Cherry Wood being used as well as Walnut, and Oak.
                Walnut and Oak would be extremely heavy though.
                I may have missed a few nut that about some up the mostly used ones. AH also , Purple heart, Bubinga,& Ovankal I almost forgot about Warwick. :lol
                Gil

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                  Fur..... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you mean fur or fir?

I personally like fur, but not when it gets stuck in my teeth. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

oops...yeah FIR! (fur is good too!)
                    Zeeg, are you standing in for Ron today? Nice damn job! He'll be proud.

Comment

i don't think you're really answering his question, so let me try. mahogany/rosewood/korina are considered a deep tonewood, maple/ebony are considered comparably bright. it has something to do with the mahogany/rosewood/korina being more porous while the maple/ebony are more tight-grained. even changing just the fingerboard on a guitar from maple to rosewood will "warm up" and darken the tone.

[ December 21, 2003, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: weapdeth ]

Comment

oops, looks like i need to pay more attention.
                        [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

carry on.

Comment

...the Larch.
                          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

&gt;even changing just the fingerboard on a guitar from maple to rosewood will "warm up" and darken the tone.

Yes you are right and this is probably the most important factor when selecting a guitar for its tone.

A maple fingerboard will have a crystal clear bright glassy tone, some guitarists don't like the clinical sound of them and sloppy playing is exposed easier on them.

A rosewood fretboard will give you a warmer fatter tone.

An ebony fretboard will give you cleaner notes as less overtones of other notes will be heard when you pluck a note.

Check out your favourite guitarists and see what they use, also check out guitarists who use maple, rosewood and ebony (hard to distinguish between r/w and ebony as they are both dark woods, ebony being the darker of the two) and listen to their guitar tones.

Comment

quote:

"A maple fingerboard will have a crystal clear bright glassy tone, some guitarists don't like the clinical sound of them and sloppy playing is exposed easier on them."

end quote.

now the hell is THAT supposed to have an easier exposing effect?? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Comment

Working...
                              X