EMG on 18 volts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG on 18 volts

I remember seeing this topic on the old board, but since it doesn't work any more I'd like to refresh it here.
    I've been using EMGs for quite a few years now. I like them, but the 18 volt mod kepps me from beeing satisfied. Have any of you tried it and what do you think about it?
    I've read on EMG's site that all their products are designed for 27 volts. My main concern here is:
    1) what's the change in output signal strengh-wise
    2) what's the change in the signal tone-wise
    3) is it going to be difficult/more difficult to get a clean sound.
    Right now I'm using EMG 81, 85, 60, and S.
    Just any thoughts about this subject.

Re: EMG on 18 volts

interessting question...
    cumon!! get this guy some answers!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

EMG's are not necessarily recommenede for use at 27 volts, that's the most they can take for normal use and operation, anything exceeding that is extraneous. Now, 18 volts can be wired in series or parallel. You can choose to wire it so that in essence you only have 9 volts of current running through but you'll end up with longer battery life. Or you can wire it such that all 18 volts are working through the circuit. Then, you benefit from increased headroom. This is most notable on bass guitars where you have a range of sound from very low to very high. The results are not as noticeable on guitar, although ClevelandMetal likes this set up.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I guess that mat be the answer. On the other hand, a weak 9v battery still delivers (more or less) 9v, only the current isn't as strong. How about 6v and the current of a fresh 9v battery? Jaust thinking.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think you might do some damage to the EMG system if you try to lower the voltage. It's meant to be run on at least 9v. I wouldn't mess with it.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, I guess I'm not gonna try it, but still I'd like to know what would happen.

Comment

Actually, if a 9V battery is weak enough, once load is applied the voltage can drop. When a battery is weak and a load is trying to draw current from the battery, voltage will suffur to provide enough current to the load. As for using 6 Volts instead of 9 Volts(arguably the same as a weak battery), you would notice your signal get dirtier, just like in an amp. If you up the voltage to 18V, it should give you a little more head room before distorting.

Comment

Originally posted by Quigin:
                If you up the voltage to 18V, it should give you a little more head room before distorting.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Which is EXACTLY why 18V is most ideal for a bass since bass players [generally] want their sound to remain clean even at high volumes. Couple that with a massive-wattage bass amp and they'll have super-clean punchy tone.

For me, I don't think I have any plans to switch to 18V on my guitars since I love the way the 9V allows me to distort the amp slightly and adds a really natural-sounding organic crunch to my dirty channel tone.

Comment

I wired my H-S-S Soloist Pro for 18v (one battery for the 81, and the other to run both the SAs), and I did notice a better tone from all the pickups. I thought about adding a 3rd battery so that each pickup has its own.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's also been discussed on this board a few times, too. And, yes, John (Cleveland Metal) uses his EMG pup with 18v. I'm happy with just the regular 9v configuration in my EMG-equipped guitars, though.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ok, so Iguess it's a matter of taste, to some extent, anyway. Another idea came to my mind. What would happen if we lowered the voltage to say 6 volts? Whem you do that an amp it starts to distort more easily. I wonder what effect waould that have on active pickups. Any guesses?

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I'll try my EMG with 18v and see if I like it or not. I'm not after increased output, as EMGs dish out enough, I want to see if there's something more to them that I may like, too.
                        Well, I guess one more question. How would you define 'headroom'? It is often in connection with amps, pickups, recording. I think sometimes it is said that something has more 'air' (especially recording) and I think it is the asme thing.

Comment

Originally posted by metafaza:
                          Ok, so Iguess it's a matter of taste, to some extent, anyway. Another idea came to my mind. What would happen if we lowered the voltage to say 6 volts? Whem you do that an amp it starts to distort more easily. I wonder what effect waould that have on active pickups. Any guesses?
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Isn't that the same as using an old 9V battery that's on its last bit of juice? Weak old 9V batteries tend to dirty up the signal a bit.

Comment

Headroom is basically dynamic response and/or output - meaning if your EMGs are each on their own battery, and not sharing a battery/not "losing power" to another pickup, each pickup will be operating at its maximum designed range. Given that each pickup is designed initially to work with only one battery (as opposed to pickups that are specifically designed as a matched set), they will only operate at their maximum range if they are used in the same manner in which they are built/tested (i.e. one battery for each pickup).

Newc
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nice avatar, Newc
                              Ok, I see, so if I put 2 EMGs on 18v that is not equal to 2 EMGs running on separate batteries, right? In terms of headroom, of course. Or is it the same?

Comment

Working...
                              X