Ass-sounding powerchords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ass-sounding powerchords

Why does powerchords sound like ass when they are fretted around the 7th fret and above? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    The intonation seems to be ok since i had it set up for a week ago.
    I have floyd
    WHY?! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Re: Ass-sounding powerchords

What kind of guitar do you have? And what do you mean by ass? It's possible you have some low or high frets that are causing strange overtones in the notes. That's certainly asstacular. Your intonation could still be screwed. If you have new strings they might not be stretched properly and even that could contribute to it.

I don't have any problems with any of my guitars until up around the 12th fret, and that's only on the lower strings. There's probably a weird setup issue with you guitar. If you could give us some more info it would help a lot.

Comment

Could be any of the following, even in combinations:

1) intonation still off
      2) bad string(s) - including dirty, or damaged/nicked/dinged
      3) pickup too high - magnetic pull on your strings
      4) poor technique - you may be clamping too hard on your chord, this happens a lot with jumbo frets, or pulling some of the strings out of tune

I bet it's one of the things I listed above.

Pete

Comment

Oh sorry, I knew I missed something (YES, I'm tired)

Its a Professional Dinky
        and It sounds way out of tune

Comment

This is my baby

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Okok thanks pete
            I think its a combination of all of the things you listed. I guess i havent got used to the jumbo frets yet [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I was going to say it can't be the guitar - must be you [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
              Just kidding [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

So...you're saying with the jumbo frets, there's a tendency, with the extra space between the fretwire and the fretboard, to press with too much force on the strings, causing a tonal deficiency? I thought that you were supposed to press firmly?

cheers,
                Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Misanthrope189:
                  So...you're saying with the jumbo frets, there's a tendency, with the extra space between the fretwire and the fretboard, to press with too much force on the strings, causing a tonal deficiency? I thought that you were supposed to press firmly?

cheers,
                  Nick
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ideally, you only really want to press with the minimum force required to fret the note solidly, any more is wasted effort (and tends to slow you down/tire you out quicker) (not that I can always live up to this ideal, but it's something I like to be aware of at least [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Comment

Yeah, I've noticed this... but wtf it's my first with jumbofrets. I'll get used to it

Comment

Originally posted by yabba:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Misanthrope189:

cheers,
                      Nick
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ideally, you only really want to press with the minimum force required to fret the note solidly, any more is wasted effort (and tends to slow you down/tire you out quicker) (not that I can always live up to this ideal, but it's something I like to be aware of at least [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly. You should be using the minimum pressure you can to fret the notes. It actually takes very little pressure from your fingers to fret a note, and any more is just a waste of your energy. Efficiency in movement is the way to speed.

That and of course, if you fret the note too hard you'll be sending notes out of tune 'n' such.

Comment

Working...
                      X