Removing Finish Scratches...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Finish Scratches...

Finish gurus, lend me your expertise....

I have an '85 Kramer Pacer that's obviously been played by someone with a bracelet on - it has a lot of serious clearcoat scratches in it. Is there something I can use to "buff them out"? I've seen some 3M products mentioned, but just wondered if anyone has performed a similar operation....

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Re: Removing Finish Scratches...

You should be able to sand out the scratches with 1200 or 1500 grit sandpaper and polish it back to a nice finish provided they're not too deep. Everyone here seems to like different brands of polishes and they are all good products so just pick the one that smells the best to you! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I use 3M fine cut, and Novus plastic polish with a sponge buffing pad.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

in a similar vein, what about larger fixes (actual chips in the clearcoat rather than just scratches)? I've never done any finish work of any kind, is it a pretty straightforward process? (paint on/fill in the chip with some kind of clear lacquer (what?), sand down and buff?)

Comment

You've pretty much got them jist of it yabba. If the chip is just the clear coat and not into the paint what you described will work great.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
        X